Reviews tagging 'Death'

The Lights of Prague, by Nicole Jarvis

adolin_adonalsium's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

Domek being a total himbo hero was great in the beginning, but he continued to make the same mistakes even after his big moment of character development... which seems wrong. The Ora-Dom team up also happened much later than I expected. Could've done without the Bazil arc (didn't have any effect on the story) or Sokol making a move on Ora (why can't men and women just be friends?!).

All that aside, I loved Ora and I loved Domek. Also love a story with snarky personified object/spirit. Literally one of my favorite tropes so Kaja really hit the spot.

m4rtt4's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

The vibes were there, but nothing else was. Don't be fooled, this was nothing like the Shades of Magic trilogy. Too much information with too little explanation, in addition to everything happening in the span of a couple of days. Ora was the only character I liked, I'd actually like to read a whole book about her life. I also loved the underground Prague! Don't know why I read the whole thing as I already wanted to dnf like 50 pages in.

lanid's review

adventurous dark

wrensreadingroom's review

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

kindra_demi's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

I don't read a whole lot of paranormal/supernatural books but I did really like this book! The writing style makes it even easier to get yourself into 19th century Prague.

The story follow a two different povs which are quite clearly distinct: that of a blue collar worker and a high society lady. One of a vampire hunter and the other of a vampire. And with these opposing situations, the stories join together into a fun and easy read about learning who the real villains are.

About the only complaint I have for it (and this could be simply I just missed it while listening to the audio book), other supernatural characters would be introduced but as someone without a lot of knowledge about supernatural, I didn't always know what kind of creature they were talking about.

samusc's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

It's surprising that this book has less than 30 reviews! I hope more people pick it up based on the cover alone. The shutter-stock bats reminded me of the flying bats in the Castlevania animated series opening and are super eye catching.
In The Lights of Prague a vampire Ora, and a lamplighter/monster hunter Domek, find themselves caught up in conspiracies to cure or kill all vampires, respectively.
The true strength of this book is the characters. I wanted Ora to be okay and she's having a hell of a week! It was really satisfying to see Domek reflect on his actions and gain self awareness over time (we love a man that is capable of unlearning). The reader can see why characters made decisions they did, and the characters themselves are messy, which I love.
The mystery aspect of this was incredibly engaging, and I found myself heavily invested in the wisps' well-being as well. Yes, vampires are the main monster focus here, but knowing that there were other paranormal creatures involved makes the world feel full. I can absolutely see the comparison to The Witcher, based on the theme of finding humanity among monsters.
The romance plot line was handled tastefully and was a key component to the overall story.
This historical fantasy included vivid details on a city that I'm not too familiar with, which was an added bonus.
The conclusion does feel a little rushed, with bringing every character back one after the other, but overall it was great fun.
I can't wait to see where Nicole Jarvis takes us next.

the_grimdragon's review

adventurous dark mysterious

"There was something melancholic yet comforting about a silent library. So much knowledge sat unlearned. Books without readers were only paper."

The Lights of Prague is the debut novel from Nicole Jarvis & comes out on the 25th in North America & TODAY for the rest of the world!

Thanks to Titan Books for the copy & for inviting me along on the Instagram tour!

Taking place in gaslight-era Prague, this has such a comfortable, cozy vibe but with wicked sharp teeth!

Jarvis weaves together historical fantasy & horror in a lusciously brutal way. It's got mythology, costumery, bloodthirsty predators, elite monster hunters, trapped spirits, atmospheric writing & IT'S QUEER!!