The Lights of Prague, by Nicole Jarvis

narjarules's review

3.5 stars

Vampire and monster hunter romance, mistaken identity, adventure mystery and the backdrop of Prague. Subtle yet intriguing discussions of ethics, enslavement, prejudice, and language & culture.
Trigger: suicide

sadiemeg's review

adventurous sad tense medium-paced

openmypages's review

{4.5 stars}

“Prague did not know Domek, did not need him, but his life was overlaid on the ancient streets in watercolor, the patterns sheer and impermanent.”

————————————-

I've found another fabulous addition to my vampire book collection. The Lights of Prague is dark and compelling and full of unusual magic and monsters. Domek is a lamplighter, his job, on paper, is to be out at night lighting the gas lamps around the city. Lamplighters, however, are secretly charged with protecting the city from demon attacks. The most fearsome threat are pijavice: immortal soulless former humans who subsist on human blood (essentially vampires). When there are reports that some of these demons have been spotted in the sunlight, the lamplighters group is frantic to figure out how this is possible and stop it before the pijavice become unstoppable.

Not all pijavice are hell-bent on killing humans and grabbing power, in fact there are some hiding in plain sight. When Domek learns that not all demons are as evil as he thought and the cost of the magic giving them this new capability, he must decide whether eradicating all demons is the right path.

I love that Prague itself served as a character, the atmospheric descriptions of every dark corner and gilt theater was so immersive. Domek's evolution from unwavering vampire hunter to a more nuanced hero was quite satisfying to watch. This is an excellent addition to any vampire, witch or magic lover's shelves!

Other quotes I loved:

"Monsters come from humanity."

"There was something melancholic yet comforting about a silent library. So much knowledge sat unlearned. Books without readers were just paper."

alana_readsbooks's review

It was alright nothing special

olivia_meret's review

A big thanks to #netgalley and #titanbooks for this eARC!

#TheLightsofPrague is a stellar debut. It’s a sophisticated vampire story that’s slow burn, built word by word, with a vast cast of characters you wish you got more of, and an interesting story that engages until the end.

It’s set in 1800s Prague. It follows Lady Ora, an independent, bold monster, and Domek, a blushing monster hunter, who are friends but don’t know about the other's alter ego. Fighting a pijavica, Domek finds a highly coveted Will-o-the-Wisp that is enslaved to whoever bears its jar

gonewithflynn's review

I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected. This was largely due to the atmosphere - absolutely loved the description of Prague and the dark and creepy vibes given off. The story was very interesting, I especially wasn’t expecting the turn the story took towards the end but my inner scientist was very intrigued, and bonus points for featuring romance between a pijavice (like a vampire) and a pijavice hunter, just gotta love all the enemies to lovers haha. That being said, the story did lull a little bit and I found myself losing some interest at certain points but my interest was definitely renewed so it’s not like this was a struggle to read.

Rating: 3.75 stars/5 (rounded to 4 on Goodreads)
Spice: 1 pepper/5 (sex but nothing too descriptive on the page)

A huge thanks to Titan Books and Netgalley for the arc to review. All opinions are my own.

rozanne_visagie's review against another edition

Thank you to Netgalley and Titan Books for gifting me an electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"

musingsbysophie's review

A mini-review of The Lights of Prague by Nicole Jarvis.⁠⁠
⁠⭐⭐⭐⭐ ⁠[non-spoiler]⁠⁠ Please note: The physical & e-copy were gifted by Titan books for review as I am joining the Instagram tour.
⁠⁠
This is Nicole's Debut novel, it is released on the 18th of May!
⁠⁠
⁠"In the quiet streets of Prague, all manner of otherworldly creatures lurk in the shadows. Unbeknownst to its citizens, their only hope against the tide of predators are the dauntless lamplighters - a secret elite of monster hunters whose light staves off the darkness each night." ⁠⁠
⁠⁠
I have to say this was a great adult fantasy debut, especially for those who love;⁠⁠
1) Period setting... hello the mid-1800s! ⁠⁠
2) Vampires!! ⁠⁠

houxli's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Pros: great vampires! Superb vampires in here. Lots of teeth. A nice historical tour of Prague. Detailed setting and info on the buildings and parks. Meaty text. Nice to chew on.
Cons: Garth Marenghi dialogue (starting at the 50% point of the book) and Domek the 21st Century American Republican Boyfriend.

book_hoarding_dragon's review

adventurous medium-paced

I ended up listening to half of this book as an audiobook. I was a bit disappointed with it. The romance between Ora and Domak was very underwhelming, they had little to no chemistry. The flirting by Ora was very cringey. the story was okay.