Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith by Gabrielle Douglas

mamaofperfectpayton's review against another edition

I'm not going to finish this book. It is poorly written. The sentence structure is all off, the stories jump around, the writing seems childish somehow, and there are too many bible references for me. I think this came out when Gabby was around 18 or 19, and they should have had her write this when she was older.

carriefranzen's review against another edition

inspiring fast-paced

thesaltiestlibrarian's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

bethyj's review against another edition

inspiring slow-paced

thebookishlifeofcms's review against another edition

informative inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

bookspastbedtime's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Gabrielle's story was super interesting and inspiring, but I thought the book was a bit awkwardly written and included too many overt religious references for my taste. I think it would have been a more successful or interesting story had the ghost writer and editor had a larger hand in the construction of the story and the narrative.

jhessongbrown's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring medium-paced

Man I wanted to love this. I loved following Gabby’s journey to the Olympics but this is so incredibly badly written. I listened on audiobook so at first I thought it was just a bad audiobook editing. But it literally felt like the book just bounced everywhere and really diminished the story. Also she quoted so many fully bible verses and gave like all credit to her mom. Which I’m sure her mother really helped but this did not provide any cool or interesting insight into her story. It was just an awkward reading to be honest.

queenjojo7's review against another edition

informative inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

amandawarfield's review against another edition

I really wanted to love this book, because I love Gabby’s story .... but this is so poorly written. Very disjointed and all over the place. But did I cry when she started talking about winning the gold? Yes. Yes I did.

justicepirate's review against another edition

3.75 stars
I have enjoyed watching Gabrielle Douglas in the past two summer Olympics and have been wanting to read this for a while. I cried when she did her events in London (don't laugh at me: she was amazing and I am a big Olympic junkie in general). I got a free copy of the book and decided to read it while going on a day trip two hours away. I finished reading it today (a day later).

What I enjoyed about this book is that we get a picture of what a girl with big dreams does with hard work. When I read Shawn Johnson's book, she kinda went on and on about different types of things gymnasts do, with training explanations. Gabby didn't do that as much at all. She focused mainly on her own upbringing and family life as well as her faith.

If you are not a Christian, just be warned she talks a LOT about her faith in this book; not in a preachy way, but in a personal way of how God helped her and what she'd focus on to get her through with the grace of God. I really appreciated that a lot.

This book was written only after the London Games. I wonder what she'd add or talk about if she wrote about the Rio Games as well, but this was still really great.

I have read several gymnast books, and this is not my favorite of them, but it was well written and fun to read.