Liars, Inc., by Paula Stokes

missriki's review against another edition

Max Cantrell is no stranger to the well-crafted lie. He thinks nothing of it when his best friend Preston and girlfriend Parvati suggest starting a little side business to make extra money that involves crafting well thought out lies and alibies for fellow high school students. What’s a forged permission slip or cover story in the grand scheme of things? Things are going great and the money is pouring in until Preston needs a lie of his own to cover a trip to meet a girl he met online. Max hooks him up but finds himself in hot water when Preston never returns home and his dead body turns up. Looking every bit the guilty suspect, Max must find Preston’s real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit.

Woah. This book is all sorts of trippy. It’s got just about everything you could possibly ask for in a gritty contemporary suspense/thriller. Entitled teens with too much time and money on their hands? Check. A diverse cast of characters that are more than cookie-cutter images? Check. More ups and downs than a roller coaster? Check. I mean it- this book has everything.

What stands out the most in this incredibly well crafted story is the deft plotting. I mean, it is absolutely tight in every way, with convoluted, yet totally believable twists and turns on every page. Paula Stokes is an expert plotter. It is mind-bending in its originality and kept me guessing until the very end. I absolutely did not see that ending coming, and I love to be surprised.

I loved Max as the main character and found him highly likable; despite his tendencies to lie and cheat to get what he wants. When it comes down to it, he’s unreliable in many ways, but his heart is in the right place. Speaking of unreliable, Parvati is by far the most interesting character I’ve encountered in YA in a long time. There’s something not altogether right about her- from her secrets to her thought process. Something about a character that might have some sort of personality disorder driving her every decision was incredibly appealing to me, and I loved the dramatic tension it lends to the story. Max is enthralled by her, and for good reason, yet you can’t completely trust her. It’s all quite delicious.

With an intricately plotted mystery and diverse cast of characters, this book is completely engaging. I read it one sitting because I was absolutely unable to put it down. Each chapter ended, leaving me desperate to turn the page to find out what happened next. This book will thrill fans of mysteries and thrillers, and will keep them guessing until the very end.

priss's review against another edition

3.5/5.

realbooksandwine's review against another edition

I am not typically a huge thriller reader, but for Paula Stokes, I will make an exception. Read the rest of my review here

lunarcicles's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book quite a lot.
Fun fact: the author's first name is the same as mine!
Firstly, the writing was fast-paced and didn't waste a lot of time on dull descriptions. I liked the narrator's voice, Max.
The plot twist of course I hadn't been expecting it. And it surprised me a lot. I liked how when the narrator didn't know shit, I knew even less.
I knew it was a psychological thriller but I was still waiting for the psychological part and when I got it, boy, it was intense. And fascinating.

taytaybomar7's review against another edition

This book was good. Like, intensely good. It was well-written and enjoyable. It was fast-paced and AWESOME. I really liked the twists and turns, though they were slightly expected. I loved the characters.
I did not like the incredibly sexual circumstances from the beginning. The first 100 pages were just out of control disturbing. I was like, "Whoa nelly," and almost stopped. I'm glad I pulled through, but it was a rough start.

novellyella's review against another edition

2.5 stars

Interesting, but absolutely NO emotional impact.

hspaulds's review against another edition

Liars, Inc.

I really enjoyed this! The twists and reveals were well planned out and I was super endeared by Max and Parvati

mljohnson2698's review against another edition

Didn't like. Garbage

homelife's review against another edition

low 3. probably would have made a better movie. b-

sarabusbee's review against another edition

3 stars

So many dumb choices just to make the story happen. It was annoying. I feel kind of apathetic about this one. It was okay, but fairly predictable and I probably wouldn't recommend it to friends.