Valkyrie by Craig Alanson

elahrairah's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

rozzburrows's review against another edition

Looks like he might be building up to actually have some action happen in the next book. I wish they didn’t get smaller each time though. I’m not giving up in this series yet but come on. Get it together.

birdloveranne's review against another edition

Wow, what an ending!

iono's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

claytell's review against another edition

I am slightly behind in the series, as I took a break for a couple of years. Only 4 more to go . . .

terminalfin's review against another edition

OK, I needed a stiff drink of scotch after listening to this one. The entire novel was great and really sets the stage for the final books in the series. Major plot points are introduced which leaves me wanting to know more and have me anxious for books 10-12. The ending is a chapter I have listened to 20 times, at least, simply because of the "wow"/"wtf" information revealed to us, the readers/listeners. Book ten is surely going to be a monster given how this book ended.

On that note, the whole ninth book was a great addition to the series. So many new ideas amongst the crew on how to cobble together a maxholx ship, how to come up with the beta site for Earth, and how to work with the new information they have become privy to.

Despite the ending which has left me on edge, I easily rate this a 5/5 and feel it was the second-best entry in the series (Columbus day, obviously, being number one).

A note to those that rate this down because of the ending, just remember that it takes great talent to make you feel so emotionally attached to a story that you express feelings of this nature.

Good luck, human

faileskye's review against another edition

I recommend this book to – you know what? It’s the ninth full numbered book in the series. It’s still great, it’s still funny, you know if it’s for you or not at the point.

What I do recommend is that you wait to start this book until after the next one is out. Imagine, if you will, the Grand Canyon. Now, on every inch and foot of the cliff walls are little Skippy avatars in their admirals’ outfits squatting up and down, going “nyuk-nyuk-nyuk” endlessly. That is the level of a cliffhanger Valkyrie ends with. It’s severely egregious, but that’s only part of the issue. The plot point it revoloves around is not foreshadowed in any way and has no bearing on this book’s plot. The last fifteen to thirty minutes/pages would have been much better served as the beginning of the next book in the series.

By no means does this ruin the book. Everything is growing and developing wonderfully. I can honestly say that Bishop feels like a true, skilled commander now. Skippy is still an asshole, but now he’s a more empathetic asshole. Furthermore, there is a refreshing paradigm shift from pure reactive defense to taking the fight to the enemy. All this amounts to Valkyrie being a bit of a transition to the next phase of the series. Or at least I hope so.

On that note, I will restate that this is a book to be consumed by with few parts that will frustrate or bore you.

johnbreeden's review against another edition

That was a bit of a wild ride. I don't want to get into the ending here, but to say it wasn't what I expected would be mild. I had some ideas of what would go on (thanks to all the spoilers floating around), but I didn't expect the revelation just before it. I enjoyed the battles of Valkyrie, so when things went planet-side on Rikers, I was surprised and a little disappointed. As the book neared the end and it was obvious this was the main event, I knew something was about to go far left field. The action scenes weren't my favorite of the series, but I was waiting for something totally unexpected. It didn't disappoint there. Now, the unbearable wait for #10...

wannabekingpin's review against another edition

all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

bout the Book: The Earth is doomed, and all the Merry Band of Pirates can do now is postpone it, and save as many people as they can. With great gains of crew and battleships, many victories, and new fame of Ghost Ship that appears out of nowhere, kicks ass, and disappears into nowhere, come great losses too. Lost crew members, injuries both physical and mental. And, worst of all, because Universe just doesn’t like Joe too happy… Skippy manages to get past the barriers in his memory, and remembers everything. What he is, why he’s here, what’s up with all the Elder technology scattered. And none of it is any good news…

My Opinion: It should be illegal to hurt your readers like this! I’m in pain and shock! And the next book is still very far away! Gah. I have absolutely no clue how one writes over ten books (there’s half-books in the series), and still manages to keep quality this high. Every battle was breathtaking. Every old joke had a new one following. The plot is evolving, and yet you can still see the clear uniformity of the tale being told. It’s just… Fantastic.

An amazing book. 5 out of 5.

apryde6226's review against another edition