The Truth About Keeping Secrets, by Savannah Brown

meeeee's review against another edition

4,5
Un beau livre sur comment chaque personne aborde le deuil et une intrigue saisissante qui nous permet de rester bien accroché au livre.

haleycounts's review

It’s not just about June and Sydney, it’s about Sydney learning how to navigate life in the face of death. It’s everything.

daisyreads7's review

This book was just ok. The writing style was very nice but the overall plot was lacking.
It was so obvious from when Sydney started getting the texts who it was- like it was stupidly obvious.
However I did like the development of Sydney’s character through the book so I’ll give it points for that
2/5 ⭐️

chloek608's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I recommend this book if you like:
-YA mystery
-dealing with grief
-LGBT characters

Sydney is going through an immensely tough time due to her dad dying in a car accident. She feels disconnected from everyone including her best friend Olivia. Sydney is convinced her dad’s death was no accident and when she starts receiving hate messages this fuels her theory even more.

Sydney starts obsessing over death and this mysterious girl who attended her dad’s funeral; June from high school. It turns out June was a therapist patient of her dad’s.

Sydney attended grief counselling and met Leo her unlikely friend. Leo helped her unravel the mystery.

At the start, I was really unsure of Sydney’s inner voice. The narrative was hard to relate to for me but I got used to it.

SpoilerThis book was best on the last 100 pages when the mystery starts to reveal. The person behind the messages was Heath, June’s boyfriend, who sensed a more than friends bond between the girls. June was already in an abusive relationship and wanted out, which was why she was having counselling sessions. But Heath abducted June and Sydney and took them on a near death car ride. But Heath gets away unscathed due to having powerful parents. June and Sydney get their own back at graduation and play a video which reveals Heath’s true colours.

isabelle2813's review

reflective sad slow-paced

noraalbuhsain's review against another edition

Took about halfway through to get into it but I was totally hooked once I hit that point where the questions were starting to get answered and I NEEDED to know who this person was and what connection they had with Sydney’s fathers death. This book includes sad but realistic depictions of the death of a loved one and how that changes a persons world, especially a younger person.

sannesbookshelf's review

emotional mysterious sad tense

noraleest's review

the start was quite slow, but once I got into it I found it very difficult to put down this book ahhh. I was so anxious to finish it so I would know what! the! f! was! going! on! so well written, and we love LGBT+ characters 💘

however, I do think this book doesnt promote healthy coping mechanisms and portrays a very... wrong (?) imagine of how things work out (im vague, sorry, but idk)

cambamrox's review

Although this book is beautifully written, I do feel that the ending felt rushed. I believe it deserved a more thoughtful ending. However, besides this, I would say this is a great book and a must read.

cit_cat's review