We Can't Keep Meeting Like This, by Rachel Lynn Solomon

ahoffkosik's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

brookesbooks's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

alysonbookishthoughts's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

booksandyarns's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

aubreysmith9412's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

I received this book from NetGalley for free in exchange for an honest review.

This book is cute, and brutally honest. Quinn is very upfront and honest with her mental health struggles. However, she is not so much upfront with her family. And that, I definitely get.

Quinn's dealing with varying degrees of anxiety and OCD, and is very honest about what she needs in order to manage her mental health. And that's refreshing to me. More kids need to know that resources are available to them, and that they can reach out. In this instance, Quinn's parents are super supportive, and they help Quinn with what she needs. However, there's a huge hangup.

Quinn's parents have set her on a path that she doesn't want, and their own baggage has not made them a safe space for her to speak to them honestly. I can't stand that shit from parents. It drives me up the wall. While Quinn's parents are great in other aspects, in this one they're severely lacking.

With the Berkowitz family, it's all business, all the time - even during family breakfast. Quinn can't escape. And she feels guilty about it. She seeks escape, and she definitely finds in in a few unexpected places. Despite her parents having a bit of a one-track mind, they do give her opportunity and freedom to figure things out. Which she does to varying degrees of success.

In the end, Quinn does open up to her parents, and some things do begin to resolve themselves. Which I like, a lot. Conflict resolution, character growth, open, honest, and productive communication are my absolute jam.
And Quinn and Tarek? Absolutely adorable.

We Can't Keep Meeting Like This is an adorable read, full of honesty, and accurate depictions of young adulthood.

mamastace_xo's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

neverenoughbooksorcoffee's review

Review forthcoming

natashal's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

I was so excited to get an ARC of WE CAN'T KEEP MEETING LIKE THIS because I loved Solomon's last two books, THE EX TALK and TODAY, TONIGHT, TOMORROW. She writes sweet, sexy romances about Jewish characters with imperfect lives. There is very little Jewish rep in both YA and adult romance so it's wonderful to see a writer consistently doing that.

This one is a YA romance about a girl named Quinn who works for her family's wedding planning business. She plays the harp but doesn't find much joy in it and isn't looking forward to a life working in weddings. The love interest is Tarek, whose family's catering company works Quinn's family's weddings. Tarek is into big grand gestures and documenting his "perfect" relationships on social media, which is in direct conflict with Quinn's anti-romance stance.

Quinn has a relationship with boys and sex unlike one I've ever read about in YA before. She keeps her relationships entirely physical and anytime the guy shows any romantic interest in her, she bolts. Quinn is a fun character and Tarek is sweet, but I didn't totally buy into the root of her trauma, and Tarek's characterization similarly fell flat for me.

That said, this is a sweet, quick read. It was a bit cluttered, I think, but Quinn is interesting and fun, and Solomon is a skilled writer whose prose shines in this book.

peachreads's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted

jadeisabelle's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

I received an e-arc of We Can't Keep Meeting Like This by Rachel Lynn Solomon from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This story centers around Quinn, a teen harpist whose family runs a wedding planning business, and Tarek, an aspiring chef,  whose parents run a catering business. Where Tarek is a hopeless romantic who loves grand gestures, Quinn is a cynic who doesn't believe in love.
I loved the romance between Quinn and Tarek, and how they were supportive toward each other <3.
I've been falling out of love with YA contemporary recently, but I'm never disappointed with what Rachel Lynn Solomon writes, this is the third book that I've read of hers and I've enjoyed all of them and will continue to read anything she writes. She has a way of writing characters that always feel like real people, that I can't help but relate to. I like that she includes conversations around mental health and therapy, young adult readers need to see these things portrayed in books. Quinn has been struggling with OCD and anxiety, she takes medication and has gone to therapy and Tarek is dealing with depression and has also gone to therapy. There are also conversations around sex and intimacy, which are talked about in a healthy way.
I related to how Quinn feels about not knowing what she wants to pursue as a career. She's just graduated and her family assumes that she will follow in her sister's footsteps and join the family wedding business, but it's not something that makes her happy.
4/5 stars.