Love on the Brain by Ali Hazelwood

brisingr's review against another edition

this was... cute. i liked the main female character a lot, and while i usually really dislike ~quirky~ personalities and modern slang (mainly bc it can date a book so obviously, and that is almost never a good thing a couple of years in its publication), this time around it just worked. i wish there was more discussion about their feelings and their personal lives, rather than have it all focused around STEM - my complain again about Hazelwood novels: I'm a humanities bitch, I do not care about whatever science is going on! Is science awesome? Sure is. Still don't really care, especially bc! it's a romance book! Give me what I came for!
The ending was also a bit too hurried for my liking, and
Spoilerthe whole internet identities issue has not been discussed even once in more depth so at the end of the day, what WAS the point of that whole subplot?

I will keep buying Ali Hazelwood's books and read them but this one was not to my personal liking at all ;(

(this book just made me realize that part of the PhD standardized entrance exam is made up of maths questions that children 14yo and under regularly solve in any other part of the world than USA and idk how to feel about this to be honest)

annikamagnusen's review against another edition

slow-paced

Literally so awful and millennial

dornzz's review against another edition

Okay are all of Ali’s books (with the exception of Bride) the same with different fonts? Yes! Am i still gonna eat them up? Yes!

adogtorstaats's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

blonde_bombshell's review against another edition

I loved this book! The author of this book also wrote Love hypothesis and I loved that so I decided to read it and I'm so glad I did!!!! It was amazing!

sedwards89's review against another edition

Review

emileers's review against another edition

I really liked this! For reasons I don’t fully understand, it seems like this book and the author is getting some hate. Not enough to really impact the goodreads rating, but enough to annoy me. There are some reviews saying this book is the exact same as her last, and tweets angry about an interview where she said that she had help coming up with the ideas for this one. Regarding the criticism on the book, yes it’s similar to her first in certain ways, but not the same book by any means. But romance readers (myself included) spend a lot of time searching for tropes and types of characters they like the most and enjoy reading, and if this is what Ali enjoys reading/writing, then that makes sense to me. No one is making anyone read this book. The other criticism is that, I guess, people think they/their friends/anyone else deserve to be published more than she does since she is not good/doesn’t know what she’s doing/started off writing fanfic (to which I’d say get a life). As if the publishing industry has pledged fairness and representation and inclusion and to publish everyone who wants it? I can’t begin to guess the reasoning, other than the fact that society cannot wholeheartedly love and appreciate a woman for more than just a short period of time before internalized misogyny kicks in and everyone decides she’s annoying (Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy schumer, AOC, etc). The downfall is even worse if a woman starts off wholeheartedly celebrated and embraced.

Anyway, I like the book, and I’ll read the next one she publishes, especially if the description of the MMC looks like Adam Driver.

jaja_rous's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

mcgbreads's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

A quick and cute read, but I had a few issues with it.

Sometimes, Bee sounded a lot younger than she was, and that irked me because you don't have to infantilize your adult characters to make them quirky and fun, but whatever. Levi was fine, a typical Ali Hazelwood male character, and I enjoyed the pinning. However, the chemistry just wasn't fully there for me between them and they lacked depth so they didn't feel like real people.

Also, I didn't care about the plot, and the way things came to a head was so strange. I expected drama, but that was so out of place, it kinda threw me off lol. The side characters were fine and I liked Rocio, but I wasn't interested in her little side romance and it felt like filler.

Overall, this was okay and the writing style was fine. I like Ali Hazelwood's voice, she makes me laugh, but this was a bit of a miss for me in terms of how engaged I was. I didn't kick my feet once! :(