The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

sofibovski's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional reflective medium-paced

if not my very favorite, then one of my all time favorite books. i will start a religion for this book.

liabeelity's review against another edition

reflective sad slow-paced

jjoosshhiii's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

mccarleyjane's review against another edition

I tried to finish this book three different times. Finally made it to the end. It's just really not my thing.

decalcomania's review against another edition

I did get the hype over this book, 70 years later after its publication and its assigned as summer reading homework? This book is all just about Holden walking around NYC, rethinking his past experiences, calling everyone and everything phony (despite himself being one), and having homophobic undertones. Nonetheless, it could’ve been worse and the characters are more or less given background.

epictetsocrate's review against another edition

"Cel mai bun lucru legat de un muzeu este că toate lucrurile rămân exact la locul unde au fost puse prima dată. Dacă mergi acolo de o sută de mii de ori, acel eschimos va prinde întotdeauna cei doi peşti, păsările vor zbura spre sud, căprioarele vor bea apă din vasul lor, cu ale lor coarne frumoase şi picioare subţiri, graţioase, iar acea indiancă va ţese mereu aceeaşi pătură. Nimeni nu va fi diferit. Singurul care va fi schimbat vei fi tu."

„Ceea ce mă impresionează cu adevarat este o carte care, după ce ai terminat-o de citit, te face să-ți dorești ca autorul ei sa fi fost un minunat prieten de-al tău, pe care să-l fi putut suna oricând îți doreai. Acest lucru nu se întâmplă prea des, totuși.”

"Caracteristica definitorie a omului imatur e că vrea să moară în mod nobil pentru o cauză, în timp ce caracteristica definitorie a omului matur e că vrea să trăiască umil pentru una."

mysterzoom's review against another edition

holden was so annoying pls shut up for once

flontenta's review against another edition

boy, he sure is a phony

kategreen's review against another edition

emotional mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

elimeg's review against another edition

At first, I wanted to give this book 1 „crumby“ star. Reading the first half was one of the most annoying reading experiences ever (the expressions he kept using, the endless repitition of stupid words), and I got really mad - why do people find works like this good? Why do they praise this rambly annoying mess? When I read about Allie, I thought: Nah you can‘t just add a dead brother and then pretend that it‘s super meaningful.

But when I got to the second half of the book, it changed for me. It started when he meets the nuns and gets so very melancholic. I got really hooked, for some reason. I‘d gotten used to the writing style, and his fate made me very sad - mainly, that every person he tries to reach out to in desperation only leads to misunderstanding and anger, and he just wants company (very relatable as a notoriously lonely person). I dunno.

Holden, you may be weird and make bad decisions, but I think I get it. You‘re not a hero or a villain - you‘re just having a tough time, NY is too much for you, and you need a break and someone to really talk to!