Reviews tagging Alcoholism

The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

eli3's review against another edition

dark funny hopeful inspiring

My favourite book of all time ❤️!!

madz_cantskate's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

The Catcher in the Rye is a great book which focuses on a short chapter of main character Holden Caulfield's life. It was interesting reading the story from Holden's perspective and I think 1st and 2nd person were good choices for this book rather than using 3rd person.

Some of the language used is outdated but apart from that it was a quite enjoyable read.

ellahaugdahl's review against another edition

informative reflective slow-paced

i have mixed feelings about this book, mostly because i feel to young and stupid to understand it on a deeper level by myself. i am positive i would have understood it more if i had an english teacher explain it to me along the way. however, i am no quitter, so i will spend the evening reading public analyzes.
on the other hand, what i did like was how timeless the classic was. the plot and story could just as likely be from today, even though it was written in the 1940’s. salinger did a great job, in my opinion. i forgot - apart from the language - where the story was set on several occasions. i remember holden writing an essay and having to borrow his roommate’s typewriter. that made me a little confused, because in my head i had imagined a computer all along.
i also liked how relatable holden was, and that he was in no way perfect. he struggled with accepting change and the way some things were, and also did not like when others did things different than him. still, he wanted to be unique. holden also struggled with growing up to a level where he started failing school. what made the story better was that he told his story from a time he knew better, and i felt like i learned his lessons with him.
my favourite kind of books are the ones you reflect and think about later on. i feel like the cather in the rye is one of those, but because i haven’t understood it completely yet i cannot give it an a+. i do however give it a 4 out of 6 stars, because even though i struggled with all the details and lack of breaks within the story, i like what i have gotten from it, and what i most likely will get from it later on.
i will recommend the cather in the rye for those who want something different than a quick and easy read. you must like analyzing books, and accept that you probably won’t understand everything by yourself.

senny's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

inkslate's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

galleread's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense slow-paced

Some people would probably say that Holden Caulfield is one of the most despicable characters they’ve ever met in their entire bookish journey. I agree with them. Holden is, in fact, a little douche and a stuck-up teenager who does nothing but whine and wander.

But this book explores a much more important concept about people and reality.

(spoiler alert – just my two cents)

Holden knows how much society has changed us and convinces us to become something we’re not just so we could fit in to the so-called norms and standards. In the book, he believes that every person he meets is a phony and he hates himself for gradually becoming one so he tries to defy the rules and be who he want to be (which makes sense since he thinks he’s better than anyone else just ‘cause he’s ✨ not like other people ✨).

That’s why Holden is so hell-bent about wanting to be the Catcher in the Rye and strives to make a difference by saving the children from running off the edge of the cliff because he is aware that the moment they fall and land, no one will save them from the abyss (a metaphor for growing up).

karol99's review against another edition

annacar0line's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

clairvoyant's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

walrus's review against another edition

dark reflective sad medium-paced