Reviews tagging Sexism

The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

aniwillow's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

waste_cup's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad tense slow-paced

sianavent's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

halaagmod's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I suppose for the time written, the contents in this book were groundbreaking and never seen before, and I can certainly appreciate the cultural significance that this book has had on Western literature and pop culture. However, in the era where much of the protagonist's antics are more-or-less seen as completely normal or expected teenage behavior, it falls flat in living up to its legacy and does little to give the reader anything entirely unique or of substance to chew on. There's little for me to dig my fangs into as far as analyzation since everything is just laid out for the reader (though this did help in English class; easiest A I've ever gotten on an assignment), and as far as an actual story, though it is dull and uneventful throughout the entire thing, it was still an enjoyable read thanks to Holden's pessimistic quips and the wonderful writing, hence my three star rating.

ellahaugdahl's review against another edition

informative reflective slow-paced

i have mixed feelings about this book, mostly because i feel to young and stupid to understand it on a deeper level by myself. i am positive i would have understood it more if i had an english teacher explain it to me along the way. however, i am no quitter, so i will spend the evening reading public analyzes.
on the other hand, what i did like was how timeless the classic was. the plot and story could just as likely be from today, even though it was written in the 1940’s. salinger did a great job, in my opinion. i forgot - apart from the language - where the story was set on several occasions. i remember holden writing an essay and having to borrow his roommate’s typewriter. that made me a little confused, because in my head i had imagined a computer all along.
i also liked how relatable holden was, and that he was in no way perfect. he struggled with accepting change and the way some things were, and also did not like when others did things different than him. still, he wanted to be unique. holden also struggled with growing up to a level where he started failing school. what made the story better was that he told his story from a time he knew better, and i felt like i learned his lessons with him.
my favourite kind of books are the ones you reflect and think about later on. i feel like the cather in the rye is one of those, but because i haven’t understood it completely yet i cannot give it an a+. i do however give it a 4 out of 6 stars, because even though i struggled with all the details and lack of breaks within the story, i like what i have gotten from it, and what i most likely will get from it later on.
i will recommend the cather in the rye for those who want something different than a quick and easy read. you must like analyzing books, and accept that you probably won’t understand everything by yourself.

mothball's review against another edition

dark funny reflective sad tense fast-paced

i like this book but i will never admit it irl. i am not an incel

senny's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

ingvildlovesneilperry's review against another edition

fast-paced

how you all liked this book is insane and you terrify me. the sexism makes this book worthy of being burned. only thing I liked was how easy it is to read and the old man at the end.

frrock's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

This book does not live up to the hype. I just could not get into it, it’s was very hard for me to read I think it might be because I hated the repetition.

kabina_prysznicowa's review against another edition

dark funny reflective slow-paced

loved it, but can't in good conciousness give it 5 stars because of the intense homophobia. holden should get therapy. read it all in one day.