Reviews tagging 'Homophobia'

Madison Square Murders by C.S. Poe

mayx_x's review

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I am so glad Ira is there for Everett. Wait no, it's Evie :'))) The sweetest guy ever omg. I hope Evie finds peace and happiness asap because man...

His past and present is so bad to him. Witnessing the death of his past lover, Patrick, and then his current husband who I forgot the name of already cos he's IRRELEVANT omg get rid of him please Evie. Like you know Ira can treat you so much better.

Speaking of current husband, hmmmmm I wonder if he's going to just snap and become murderous or stalker-ish eek. He scares me.

Also! I cannot wait to wait to get to know more about Ira and I'm sooo excited for Ira and Evie's relationship to develop cos they're actually so cute together.

penguinsquack's review

octaviaatlas's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

mallaidhsomo's review

dark emotional medium-paced

I LOVED this. The murder mystery was intriguing, but the characters were on point. Ira and Everett's budding relationship was great. I loved their banter and connection.

The narrative was punchy and addictive. I was sucked in by the first few paragraphs, honestly. Larkin's POV is a fascinating place, and I loved how Poe weaved in how his injury changed who he was, but didn't focus on how that was wrong somehow.

I thought the subplot with Larkin's husband would bother me, but it didn't. Their marriage is dead by the time the story even begins; it just takes Larkin a bit to realize that.

I can't wait to read the second book.

downtown_kb's review against another edition

dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

Larkin is the lead detective in the cold case division in the NYPD. Remains found after a tree falls in Madison Square Garden, and the death mask found along with it, forces him into an unexpectant partnership with Doyle from the forensics artists unit.

I immediately was sucked into this because of Larkin. He has a lot of the similarities to Sherlock Holmes: in mannerisms and his superior deduction skills. This was some fascinating character development and I really liked that we got to know Larkin as we also solved a murder mystery. There were never any info dumps but a lot of piecing together of who he was. He is in an established relationship at the start of this book but that person is not the LI so that also was not something I typically read, and despite some reviews that didn’t care for it, I think it wasn’t drama for drama's sake but also furthered the character development. This is definitely a slow burn in an ongoing series but if you like prickly mcs paired with total sweethearts and some good mystery this was a great read. Larkin is truly a fascinating character.

siad's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

herfleurs's review

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective relaxing medium-paced

"My heart is always broken."

Eu estava sentindo tanta falta de conseguir me conectar de forma leve num romance, eu nem fazia ideia.

Eu adoro C.S, acho que nesse livro ela conseguiu dar uma ar de novidade pra o batido romance policial, eu adorei.
Eu gostei de ambos personagens, adorei a forma como foi escrita. Achei eles super inteligentes e em sintonia. A atração foi um processo compreensível pra mim, a conexão que foi se formando foi especial, o respeito dos limites um do outro, incrível.
Os dois tem uma história e isso eu curti demais, tem muita coisa ainda pra eles, não ficou raso, só ficou aberto pra ser explorado.

Eu amei a investigação também, achei que C.S conseguiu criar uma sintonia entre eles dois que foi além e funcionou super bem.
Eu realmente gosto de personagens que se relaciona de forma diferente nas relações interpessoais do dia a dia. E sendo aplicado na investigação foi muito interessante.

No final me deixou um pouco receosa porque eu curti o modo do mistério aqui e parece que os próximos já vem com uma pegada diferente que podem ser mais traumáticos pro Larkin e me deixa preocupada. Mas estou ansiosa por mais.

prgchrqltma's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This was a fairly engaging read for me.

_isabel_'s review

challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"Madison Square Murders" is, possibily, one of my favourite reads of the year. I've said this time and time again, but it's worth repeating: C.S. Poe is a gem of a writer and her stories just keep getting better and grittier, more unforgettable and thrilling.
I managed to finish this in less than 48 hours and I'm literally restraing myself from starting it all over again.

This first book is the riveting start to a new mystery series I'd literally sell my soul for so I could have the sequels all available on my kindle.
It's protagonist, Everett Larkin, is a highly intelligent, neurodivergent detective in the NYPD's Cold Case Squad that gets assigned a twenty-year-old murder to investigate, a murder that seems to be connected to death masks. Enter: Ira Doyle, detective and brilliant forensic artist, with a penchant for flirting and for surprising the hell out of Larkin.
I adored them both, so so much. Larkin is a wonderful protagonist: he's smart and he knows it, but he's also broken and traumatized and unsure and spinning out of control and God, I wanted to reach inside the book and whisk him away to somewhere safe and warm. The book is told entirely from his point of view and what an unique point of view it was: C.S. Poe has really outdone herself here. Larkin's words and feelings, his thought-process, his brain's inner workings... it's all sketched out in such a vivid and brilliant way. I literally had to stop and catch my breath at times: his inner world is poetic and overwhelming and I never wanted to leave. Ira Doyle was such a wonderful counterpart to Larkin: sunny and flirty, capable and respectful, with hidden depths and heartaches and I cannot wait to see what else the author has in mind for these two.
Their banter was top-notch and hilarious and heartwarming, their more intimate and softer scenes together stirring and lovely.

And the murder plot? It was brilliant and dark and gritty. I gasped and shouted and had a literal nightmare about some of it (it was worth it, though). It was also creative and well-constructed and unexpected and, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out who was the bad guy and what was going to happen next. And that ending? Well, I'm now ready to sell my soul (and also my kidney) to have the second book in my hands.
This book is out on the 28th of September and if you love dark, angst-y mystery novels with a touch of romance (and heartbreak), go and buy it. I'll buy it for you otherwise.