The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller

wenipher's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

missblissreads's review against another edition

This was an audiobook and the narrator is lovely. Beautifully written with so much imagery. Highly recommend.

rhoanaa's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

ksilvers96's review against another edition

i was promised i would cry. very disappointed. the beginning was interesting because i don’t think there are many stories about patroclus and achilles as lovers but their relationship as kids. the way the story was weaved together was executed really well but as it got closer to the second half of the book, it just felt flat because i already knew what was going to happen. superb writing!! it fit the story and theme really well. i did like the ending but i don’t think it deserves all the hype it gets.

ohdamnbatman's review against another edition

This book was BEAUTIFUL.

averyw's review against another edition

Too many tears, not enough tissues. No seriously, there’s mucus all over my face.

readmeclearly's review

I will never leave him. It will be this, always, for as long as he will let me.

4.75/5 stars
No words of mine will be enough to describe how much of a masterpiece this is. The well-executed plot compensates for the sluggishness of the first several chapters, not to mention the incredibly gorgeous prose. I am in awe of this book; Achilles and Patroclus will forever have a special place in my heart.

amyvosk's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted sad fast-paced

meganann1310's review against another edition

I have read the story of Achilles and Patroclus many times - in Homer’s Iliad, in Oswald’s poetry, in Malouf’s novel and many, many articles during university - but I did not enjoy any of them the way I enjoyed this. I mostly decided to read it because I loveddddd Circe (reviewed in my previous post) so I wanted to try the debut novel. I’ve always been of the opinion that Achilles and Patroclus were lovers and, though Homer doesn’t ever expressly say they were, I love that Miller isn’t a denier! Achilles’ actions in The Iliad are not the actions of someone who is “just friends” with their “companion” and I love that she makes their romance the focus of this novel. Miller’s tale is wonderful in that it tells the story as we already know it, but is also brand new, with a heart-warming prequel to the events of which we are already familiar, though they are newly exciting in their retelling. Like Circe, it has all the beauty and wonder of an epic, but it’s easy to read. This story will stay with me while I recover from the heartbreak that it caused and, if you like romance and greek mythology, or if you read Circe and loved it, then this is for you.

chantellebehr's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced

This book sweeps you up in the emotional experience of the narrator, the writing is simple and effective, and it is hard to put down.