Surrender, by Sonya Hartnett

morganlouise's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

njlbo1's review

If you like psychological stories that really make you think, check out this book. But if you want a happy ending, this book is not for you.

lizlikesreading's review

Okay, so the writing style of this book is beautiful, the characters are haunting and memorable, but the plot falls apart. The narrator, Gabriel, is painstakingly dying as he recalls his life and tries to make peace with himself before he finally passes fully away.
Filled with strong motifs and themes regarding responsibility and good versus evil, I really wanted this book to succeed. However, the last thirty or so pages were such a let down that I had to just give it two stars.

hannahakers's review

I'm not quite sure what I just read, but I believe I enjoyed it.

taphrina's review

Psych thriller that will confuse, terrify, and rivet you!

diaryofabookahloic's review

hmm how do i put this nicely i did not like the book very much did it have enjoyable parts yes when ever Finnegan was not around. I'm worry but this book was nothing like the summary of the book all that just did was confused me cause it goes back a forth between past and present and you never know what fully going on. now the point of clear thing going on in the book but i'm sorry to say this book was not what i thought it to be. i give this book 2 stars because the writing was good the style was not the was not clear switches between the past and present so you got lost until the end then you knew what was going on when in the book. If your in to book that don't really has a sense of reason to the way the story line goes then pick up this book it just no a book for me.

sarahthornton's review

A desolate, aching, childhood abuse with dark prose and urgent dulled actions.

verkiezen's review against another edition

I could not stand the writing style of this book. Super pretentious and obnoxious. I ended up skimming most of it.

bitterindigo's review against another edition

Lyrical and punishingly evocative. Renders that claustrophobic small-town feel disturbingly well. Less narrative energy than I usually like, but gorgeous.

theawkwardbookw's review against another edition

Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCferU-BCL2dlFjWdD0rS75Q/videos

Anwell is shunned from his small town in Mulyan after a tragic event concerning his older disabled brother, Vernon. Now his family is deemed a bunch of kooks and Anwell creates an alter ego named Gabriel. Gabriel is dying. He is now recalling 20 years of his life with his friend Finnigan and dog, Surrender. Gabriel knows now that Finnigan is bad, he must get rid of him before it is too late and he hurts more people.

I really enjoyed the alternating perspectives between Finnigan and Gabriel and thought that was a great addition to the story. Honestly... half the time I had no idea what was even going on... but it worked. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time trying to figure out what was going to happen next. The book covers a lot of dark themes, the main three being the difference between good and evil, mental illness as well as guilt. The book is incredibly written and beautiful but has some difficult scenes to read. There was so much symbolism and metaphors through out the book which made it very thought provoking and more intense while reading. The ending is definitely very vague and allows the reader to interpret it how they feel fit. Overall, I enjoyed it but definitely a hard read.