Evernight, by Claudia Gray

tweedledelirium's review

At first I thought it was Twilight meets Harry Potter, but then The Twist happened. Did not see that one coming! And because one shock wasn’t enough, The Other Twist came! What started out as fairly generic turned out very exciting. My only issue is that I don’t see the appeal of the love interest in this story - Lucas is very lackluster and borders on being a jerk to Bianca; she would be much better off with her friend, Balthazar.

greenink's review

A lot like Hex Hall.

Maybe it's just me, that the book had me convinced that she was a normal human, until halfway through the book. So I'm like, Yay, here's a character I can totally relate to! and I thought that Lucas was the vampire. And the first half, I didn't even NOTICE any mention of Clara being a vampire. And then BAM, hey guess what readers, turns out main character is a vampire, and not the other way around. Suddenly she's randomly biting someone in the neck and then you realize she's a vampire. If it wasn't me though, had the book mentioned her being a vampire earlier, it would've saved me a lot of confusion.

jessicakatesbookshelf's review

A favourite series of mine that I hold dearly to my heart. Shall remain planted on my shelf until time ends. Entertaining and emotive with a satisfying ending. Tear jerking and compelling enough in a young adult genre type beat that stirs up my young nostalgia. How can you say no to a high school of vampires?

myeverskye's review

I liked this book. But I really didn't like how the author dropped the big bomb on you out of the blue in the first 1/2 of the book (if you read it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about). I just felt it was really abrupt & irritating because it felt like you were reading one story & then without any warning or any explanation of why it started so different, you feel like you are reading another story in the middle of it. BUT- after that I really liked it, felt it was original in it's plot (other than the typical teen romance- which I liked though) & I'm looking forward to the sequel.

starbound's review against another edition

Det første som overrasket meg med denne boka var at selv om det ikke er en hemmelighet at Evernight handler om vampyrer, så fikk ikke vi (leserne) vite det før langt uti historien. Jeg satt og tenkte “Hmm, har jeg lest feil? Tenker jeg på en annen bok om vampyrer?”, men det kom fram i lyset til slutt.
Så -- ei boarding school for vampyrer. Det er faktisk ikke så teit som det høres ut! Jeg fant ut at jeg faktisk likte denne boka veldig godt og den hadde mange uventede vendinger og hendelser. Jeg fikk ikke helt sansen for Lucas (hverken i begynnelsen, midten eller slutten av boka), men han var en interessant type. Bianca var en god hovedkarakter som er lett å kjenne seg igjen i.
Så Evernight var veldig god, og jeg gleder meg til å lese Stargazer (nummer to).

bec_97's review

emotional medium-paced

datskira's review

Evernight was a great book. I loved the characters. They each had their own touch to the story, and the setting was incredible. The twist at the end was nothing like I expected and it literally came out of nowhere. I knew there was going to be something huge with Lucas’s grandfather but nothing to that scale. Just wow. I give Gray several rounds of applause with that surprise. However, there was only one thing I found sketchy with this story. I knew it was about vampires. I mean, hello? Duh. That was no surprise. But when Bianca had her first incident with it, they had never once mentioned the vampires before. I had the impression that Bianca had absolutely no idea about the vampire secrets at Evernight Academy, but actually she had known her whole life! I just think Gray could have thrown that out there in the beginning instead of doing the whole, she bit him business and then saying that Bianca had always known about her heritage. That just annoyed me when I read it. No indication until it happened. But either way, still an excellent book. Kept me reading, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the second book.

readingstorieswithtori's review

ameliagm's review

Great first novel. An interesting twist on contemporary vampire lore.

leolikesbooks's review

[Re-read] This wasn’t very good. The characters were all pretty dumb, there was an extreme case of insta-love, and there were too many plot holes.