Oathblood, by Mercedes Lackey

lillowo's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

A fun series of short stories with loveable characters! It was also super cool to see the thought process that went with each story!
I think I would have enjoyed a few longer stories like the last story in the book and a little bit more about the foot process that went into them!

csarakas's review

I discovered this on my bookshelf the other day and realized I had never read it. It was a nice reminder of the Mercedes Lackey I grew up with, and equally nice to have new-to-me Tarma and Kethry stories to pass the time with. The repetition from story to story is quite obvious here, but that's the risk you take when you put together a collection of previously published short stories featuring one set of characters. Some nice background development, and I really enjoyed reading a bit about their lives once they had settled down and had the school and so on.

karinajean's review

comfort book left over from high school. YA fantasy at it's best/worst!

roklobster's review

You know those books you read when you are younger than you are now and they make an impression and you think they will be crucial to your life for always and forever?

And then you do some growing up and changing and then re-read those books? And the power that they had over you is not as vast as you once thought? AND you also remember them somewhat differently than what they are?

Yeah, this is that book. I liked the stories, but I was really hoping to sink my teeth into something more meaty than a compilation of stories already published somewhere else (say, in the FIRST BOOK of this series?!), and some too short to be satisfying.

Don't get me wrong - I still think the characters are awesome, I just think ML did them a disservice by quelling them to short stories. The last story in the book could have easily been expanded to be a whole novel - I wanted it to be a whole novel! - but sadly, she did not deliver.

The writing was good, but I guess I though this was going to be a NOVEL, not a collection of short stories. Sigh.

jtl1295's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

_elwing's review

adventurous inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

bibliophilicwitch's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

Like this first book in this trilogy, Oathblood is a collection of Kethry and Tarma short stories. This collection included a few that were in the first though this time all were precede by an author's note on the background of the story. The title short story was also very good.

bookishinsomniac's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced
            Oathblood, an anthology of stories about Keth and Tarma before during and after the events of the other Vows and Honor stories, had several hits and misses for me.
            Pros:
·      I finally got to read the meeting of Keth and Tarma and what finally started their journey together which is what I’ve been missing since the beginning.
·      Epilogue- The ending story was also the ending I wanted to Oathbreakers.

Cons:
·      Other stories- Besides the first and last stories, I thought this anthology was somewhat pointless. Half the stories were based off of things we had already read in the other books. As much as I like reading Tarma and Keth’s stories there was just no overarching storyline which I don’t enjoy as much.

I’m giving this book 2.5/5 stars. For me this whole book could’ve been taken out and the first story could’ve been a prologue, and the last an epilogue and it would’ve had the same effect.

jesshale's review

The last in the trilogy about warrior Tarma and sorceress Kethry, this book is a collection of short stories. It includes the origin story about the two, which would have been better placed in the first book and, confusingly repeats two of the stories which appeared in book one.

It is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Repeated material notwithstanding, the stories are fun. "Oathblood" in particular wraps things up nicely for Tarma and Kethry.

inferiorwit's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny tense fast-paced