The Magnolia Palace, by Fiona Davis

katiepyne23's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective

tannermorales's review

dwkiley's review

Thank you Net Galley for the ARC of The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis. As a fan of the author, I was looking forward to this book and it did not disappoint. Set as a dual timeline in 1919 and 1966 in New York City, it is the story of the Frick family and the collection of art that was turned into a museum. I enjoy dual timeline stories and these two were fun to read. In 1919, the daughter of Henry Frick, Helen, hired a private secretary named Lillian Carter. Lillian has a secret that doesn't come out for months - not giving it away here. I loved the characters in this time period as some were stereotypical and others were more self assured. In 1966, an intern and a model solve riddles from 1919. As the two timelines converge, I really enjoyed how the author made it seem plausible that the intern and model would meet Helen and Lillian (with a few surprises thrown in). I enjoyed looking up the art that was mentioned in the story to be able to see it. The author explains the inspiration for the story in Author's Note and I loved the connection to real people. I would love to read a follow up story about the intern and the model and other mysteries and surprises they find in the Frick Museum.

professoremdash's review

An enjoyable work of historical fiction that mixes fact and fantasy. The unfolding of the two juxtaposing yet related stories is easy to follow, with constant action and small details to help you uncover the various mysteries that unravel. I enjoyed the strong characterizations and the settings, which were rich and well-described. The author’s note at the end provides a wealth of resources for further reading on the Fricks and general history from the time.

shakira19's review

informative mysterious reflective medium-paced

diannel_04's review

I usually like her books but this one was only okay.

sbowersreads's review

inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

jillhannaha's review

I was intrigued to learn about this real life family, and the real life woman whose image graces many NYC buildings from the early 1900s. This story is told from dual timelines in 1919 and 1966, focusing on the Frick mansion and artwork, laced with mystery, excessiveness, romance, and tragedy.
I'm impressed with the research that must have been done to get this fictional story factual enough to portray a fictional twist of real life artist model, Audrey Munson's life, and the Frick family, specifically Helen. I love how the author took these two real women of the 1900s and entwined their lives to make up this fantastic historical fiction story.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me a copy of this interesting story!

kalliegrace's review

mysterious reflective slow-paced

This is a quieter book than I've been reading recently, though there is still plenty of plot to pull it along. The setting is great, the scavenger hunt was fun, and the relationships were intriguing.
I usually like happy endings, but this one was a little too perfect - everyone lived happily ever after in so many words.

modmanee's review

I read it in one sitting. It’s really hard to put it down and I have not read such a good book in a while. The theme of this book reminds me of The Muse by Jessie Burton which is one of my all time favorite books. 5 start - really recommend it.