ssacksf's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative mysterious fast-paced

eairwin's review against another edition

Enjoyed Eve's story and learning a little about occupied France during WWI. Did not care for Charlie at all. So the two balanced each other out.

bronwyn18's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring tense medium-paced

sjtharris's review against another edition

My neighbor recommended this book and I rushed to give it a go. I was disappointed.

The book is full of cliches and could have been 100 pages shorter. Charlie’s motivation seems to weak to launch such an adventure. And at the risk of sounding like a prude, there was too much silly sex. The story could have been told just as easily without it.

I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed the narrator. Had I been reading the book, I would have abandoned it.

sandichristiansen's review against another edition

Listened to the audiobook and absolutely loved it. I’m not usually one for historical fiction but I highly recommend this!

frogggirl2's review against another edition

This is a fast-paced, compelling, easy read. Very similar in subject matter and theme to "Transcription" by Kate Atkinson. Where "Transcription" becomes a My Girl Friday parody (which undercuts the tension and jars with the seriousness of the time and place), this book moves from historical fiction into a thriller with a romance. They're both cliches but the thriller/romance aspects pair better with historical fiction. Still, the ending to this book is overly tidy; unbelievably fair tale happy ending for some of the characters after the events that form the book.

msanawith1n's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark informative inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

cupcakes_and_coffee's review against another edition

I enjoyed the book because I loved the premise. These brave women have a remarkable story that should be told. They were strong, amazing, nothing short of incredible!

I liked the heart of the story and Eve’s part in WW1. I couldn’t wait to hear what happened next with her and the other fleurs du mal. However, the dual storylines between WW1 and WW2 felt forced. The connection seemed contrived and therefore unconvincing. Personally, I would’ve preferred more historical fiction, less romance. There was too much pressure to have everything work out. Despite some of my turmoil, I still loved it and it is definitely worth the read!

laikiaroo's review against another edition

This was a decent read, and I did like the alternating characters/timelines. But it still seemed a little - derivative? Not quite original? Maybe I've just read too many WWII novels recently.

scmaley's review against another edition

This was on the longer side, as far as books that I read during the summer, but I read it in two days! I simply couldn't put it down.
I loved it. It was absolutely thrilling. It made me incredibly sad. It made me incredibly happy. I recommend this to everyone!