Notes from Underground, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

nicolleschumacher's review against another edition

dark funny reflective sad fast-paced

Strange and thought provoking, quite funny and equally revolting. However, it didn’t strike me as the other works by Dostoevsky have.

walking_reader's review against another edition

Io non lo so come fa quest'uomo a scrivere così. Questo romanzo è delirante (strano!) e allo stesso tempo arriva come uno schiaffo in faccia, è l'estremizzazione del dramma dell'uomo moderno e della sua incapacità di essere un animale sociale. Pazzesco, seppur difficilissimo, forse la sua opera più difficile tra quelle che ho incontrato finora.

abbyquail's review against another edition

challenging reflective tense slow-paced

awkwardreader13's review against another edition

I'm so glad I reread this, as my perspective has changed so much from just a year ago when I first read it. Back then I gave it 2 stars and was generally just not into it, but I've come to appreciate the unlikable character more. It's fascinating to read how the MC calls himself a fly, yet still sees himself as smarter and more honorable than everyone else. His small obsessions, his self destructiveness, his bursts of anger, his sudden switches between self-loathing and self-glorification, the games he plays with other people... all in all he is a very interesting character, and not one bit likable.

shashi's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective fast-paced

Questo libro è un delirio dalla prima all’ultima pagina. Mai mi sono riempita di collera per un personaggio come ho fatto per il protagonista di questo romanzo. Ho apprezzato lo stile di scrittura e il modo in cui Dostoevskij sia riuscito a entrare nella mente di quest’uomo. Leggete questo libro solo se vi piacciono i flussi di coscienza e i personaggi malvagi fino al midollo.

leni6886's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

The second time reading this masterpiece hits harder. I don't know what it is about Dostoevsky, but it feels like he's speaking my mind and using my words. Every single sentiment and confession sounds so familiar as if he fishes it out of our very soul. I would say this story is one of my absolute favourites, as it delves into one's putrid selfishness and pride, dissects them and analyses every single fragment of the poisonous inner thoughts and desires we all have, but are too weak to even whisper to ourselves.

shawngray's review against another edition

The narrator is such a paradoxical character that at first it's almost comical the difference in the way he perceives himself and the way others perceive him. Then you begin to realize you exhibited those same paradoxes yourself. He sees himself as an intellectual and literary, while others look on him with disdain and even disgust. He sees himself as someone worthy of respect and commanding an air of dignity, however, when he finds himself in a situation that requires a particular behavior he is too overwhelmed by his own thoughts and occupations to act. This quality makes him somewhat of an antihero but also highly relatable.

danielasircu's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

giuliaeilibri's review against another edition

“A parte la lettura non avevo niente - ovvero non c'era nulla in quelli che mi circondava, che io potessi allora rispettare o da cui potessi sentirmi attratto.”

Sublime.

judystfrancis's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced