Armageddon by Craig Alanson

skidley97's review against another edition

Still a fun series.

mikemikemike's review

adventurous dark emotional funny medium-paced

lighthuis's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

iono's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

schleis's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

elahrairah's review

emotional slow-paced

terminalfin's review against another edition

And now on to entry number 8 in one of my favorite audiobook series'. Skippy and Joe are now joined with a trio of bureaucrats that seek to control our friend COL Joe.

In this book, I found it fun to watch as Skippy and Joe had to find ways to look the universe in the eyes and say "Not today!" As many are aware, the Dutchman has seen better days since its capture back on Paradise. As such, a new ship begins to take shape, like lego pieces coming together by themselves in a lego tub, with about as much accuracy.

With the ending, I can't wait to jump into book 9, although I have heard that the ending for the next book is infuriating many readers. Oh well, it is a Bray-narrated novel and I will not shy away as we dive down the rabbit hole that is the MBOP.

5/5

johnbreeden's review against another edition

Before we start, let me say... Give A Guy Some Warning. Give me a heads up before I'm driving 60 mph down the highway and you decided to....(oops, no spoilers).

I enjoyed this novel, just as with the other Ex Force novels. I was actually getting a bit disappointed at one point due to the "ease" with which some of the scenarios were playing out. Then, It happened... Definitely a game changer. There are a few points I didn't like as much with this novel, but the ending definitely has me eager for the next installment.

wannabekingpin's review against another edition

all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: Merry Band of Pirates, now reformed and upgraded with officials nobody wanted, are off to find a suitable planet for humans to colonize as Plan B. It’s not so easy, not even for Skippy the Magnificent, who is searching for wormholes around any potential target, opening dormant ones, and… One of them actually asks him for a password. To which some unknown part of his answers. The further they go, the more worried Skippy is getting by the information he’s gathering and the conclusions this information serves. There are no wormholes beyond Milky Way galaxy that he can make use of. In fact, there’s a sort of a barrier rim around it, out of scattered Elder Technology. As if they tried to close it away from something on the outside. Could this be related to their ascension? If so, what could be out there so scary, that even the Elders felt threatened.

My Opinion: Oh dear, I have so many question. Why do Elders still defend some bits and pieces scattered across the galaxy, what sources of power do they need while no longer corporeal? What’s outside the Milky Way? What scared Elders so much they close a whole galaxy off, and then turned themselves to ghosts? Damn this is good.

You know a good book when you want the next one before you even finish the previous one. A firm 5 out of 5 and then some.

misterjay's review against another edition

Armageddon reads almost like a new series. It's the first time in the series we see the Merry Band of Pirates being (somewhat) proactive instead of purely reactive. And we see them kick some serious butt. It's a pleasure to read. It is, as some have noted, a bit of a jarring jump if you have not read (listened to) the intermediary "Homefront" story. Still, I'm excited to see where this section of the story goes in the next couple of volumes.