The Lost Gift to the Italian Island by Barbara Josselsohn

insatiablewanderlust's review

adventurous emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

While I absolutely enjoyed this book and am eagerly awaiting the next in the series, I definitely didn't enjoy this much as the first one. I found Tori to be very whiny and intolerable and felt that she was deserving of a reality check when it came to some of the people in her life. I really can't say much more than that without leaving spoilers. I did love Giulia's parts of the book and have high hopes for the next one in the series!

readwithjackalope's review

This is the 2nd book in a series that focuses on the lives of 3 sisters during WWII. They left for Parissi Island, an island of dreamers and thinkers to find a cure for their father. This is a dual-timeline story that tells the story of Guilia, the middle sister, and what happened to her after she escaped Parissi Island, once the Nazis invaded it. Also, Tori in 2019, after a shocking discovery heads to Italy to uncover the truths about her family history.

I enjoyed the second installment of this story and the mystery behind Giulia's life. I did find Tori to be a bit annoying, even though I understood why she was that way. I didn't care as much about her life. I would have loved to learn more about Guilia, her time on Parissi Island, and what happened afterward. Overall it was an intriguing read with romance, intrigue, secrets, and a mysterious Italian Island during WWII. Definitely a good read. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series

leona_omahony's review

This is the second book in the Sisters of War series,  the first book is titled Secrets of the Italian Island.   Oh my goodness this was an absolutely wonderful read and it completely and utterly gripped me right from the very start.  It’s another dual timeline story , each chapter alternating between 1943 and 2019.  Admittedly I did enjoy the past timeline a little bit more but that’s because I really enjoy reading historical fiction.   Reading about Giulia and all she went through make for a heartbreaking read at times.   This is quite an emotional read in parts and the descriptions of the past on the island are really brought to life by the author.  As I was reading I could literally close my eyes and imagine being Giulia all those years ago.  I would recommend reading the first book in the series as it paves the way for this second book.   Another historical fiction read that I highly recommend.