How to Make a Wish, by Ashley Herring Blake

heresthepencil's review against another edition

rep: bi mc, Black lesbian li

adayinjune's review against another edition

It’s kinda funny I used to be a ballerina and now am a pianist tehe. Anyway

pauline's review against another edition

3.75⭐ rounding up to 4 because it was very close to it!
I really liked this book overall, I had trouble getting into it for the first 100 pages but after that it was a smooth ride and a very quick read. I loved the relationship between Eva and Grace it was so sweet and heartfelt!! The other characters were adorable and I loved how supportive and close they were all to each other (apart from Maggie of course). Buuut, I would have liked the book to go deeper on the characters' emotions/personality since the story doesn't revolve around the plot that much.
The bisexual rep was top notch and actually made me feel seen for once which is such a good feeling, and makes it even more special for me since it's pride month. Grace explained her attraction so perfectly and beautifully. The biracial rep was also very good but it was from the love interest's perspective so it did not go as deep.
Great great read on the whole and it makes me excited to read more of Ashley Herring Blake in the future :)

nadiramos's review against another edition

My heart feels so full. There is so much to gain from this story and it isn't so predictable that I can't stop rolling my eyes, which is a major plus! :D

ennabananaz's review against another edition

This is a book for the ones out there that didn’t get the love they needed, the love they deserved.
This is a book for ones that grew up thinking they weren’t loved.
The ones that had to grow up way too fast.
That never put themselves first.
This is absolutely beautiful and resonates with me so deeply.
This author can do no wrong.
I’m so thankful that this exists and wish that all the children that are left with a Maggie can read this and hopefully find some solace in this.

locuraxloslibros's review against another edition

4,5/5 ⭐️
Definitivamente un libro muy emotivo donde el crecimiento de los personajes es increíble. Me encanta cuando vemos cómo maduran, cómo dejan atrás lo que les hace daño para ser mejores personas. Lo terminé con lágrimas en los ojos y un nudo en la garganta. Imposible no emocionarse con esta historia.

sparksinthevoid's review

you and me, we’re sandy spoons and fireworks, lighthouses and wishes and peanut butter.

tw: grief, death of a parent, toxic relationship with parent, depression, unhealthy coping mechanisms

this book was true. i don’t know how else to describe it, it just seems realistic, completely real.

in a way, we follow these really ordinary events: with a mum being completely infatuated with a new guy, with a grief-stricken new girl coming to town, worrying about the future.
ashley herring blake manages to make it into something beautiful.

all these characters are incredibly flawed. they are not good or bad, they are both. their actions hurting somebody else even though they just want to help. and no one is just this perfect person with all the right thoughts and all the right things to say.

oh, but this book made me angry. maggie is just such an infuriating person who hurts everyone in her way, including herself. with grace in the middle of things, it gets hard. and while i kind of understand grace’s but she’s my mum, i can’t just leave her, i personally it’s important that she does leave because it is her mother, because her staying could cause damage (for herself). and i was glad when she realises that she has to put herself first, the while her mum’s recovery is important, it won’t work if maggie herself refuses it.

so i really liked the friendship between luca and grace. maybe because it showed how complicated friendship sometimes can be, with other people coming in between and the two of them having to reorganise how to treat each other while staying the same to one another. it hurt to see them fight and the whole time i just wanted them to make up.

and then there’s eva, who by herself is lovely. and then sometimes she would run after grace, probably to comfort her, to be there for her, but i just felt like she was being pushy and at some point i was almost annoyed by her presence on the page.
but then again, maybe this is also because she, too, is not perfect. she just tries her best to mourn her mother in the best way she can, and that sometimes means hurting people you didn’t mean to hurt.

all in all, this was a really good book, with its exploration of grief and complicated relationships.

melodierhae's review

3.75 stars. A lovely book that I think tried to cram too much tragedy. Not because people can only receive so much tragedy...but because it rained...then it poured...and then it fell into the trap of trying to be MORE than a YA Romance. It skirted the line between characteristic and compelling.

But the romance was SO SO SO good. And despite the "80 thousand tragedies over the span of a summer" feeling, Grace's mom was a wonderfully written character. Ashley Herring Blake did a fantastic job of creating some truly dynamic characters.

mlatrece's review

I fell in love with Ashley Herring Blake's writing since her debut "Suffer Love". Blake did not disappoint me with her sophomore book "How To Make A Wish". I spent the entire day reading this book. I love how she captures the different relationships Grace has with her mother Maggie and Eva. She has a way with making you feel the character's pain and struggles as you're reading. If you're a crier like me you might need a tissue or two. This book covers diversity well. What I like about this is that the characters already know their sexual preferences and not in the discovery point. Another great read by Ashley Herring Blake.

Disclaimer: I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

kirstyreadsblog's review

This was one of my most hyped up lgbt+ reads of the year because hey, there's not much f/f romance around. As a warning this book has emotional abuse from a parent who has mental health problems.

Grace spends her life moving between homes of her unbalanced mother's boyfriends, where we pick up in the book she finds out that her mum is now dating her ex boyfriend's dad and she now has to live with her ex boyfriend. Then Eva moves to town after losing her mum and Grace and Eva form an unlikely connection.

There was both bisexual and lesbian representation in this book which is always a good thing and the love interest was biracial which made it even better.

Continue my review here: https://kirstyreadsblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/how-to-make-a-wish-by-ashley-herring-blake