Groot, by Brian Kesinger, Jeff Loveness, Declan Shalvey, Jordie Bellaire

elevetha's review

This was actually really good!! I had just tried to read [b:Martian Manhunter, Vol. 1: The Epiphany|25810152|Martian Manhunter, Vol. 1 The Epiphany|Rob Williams|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1454735668s/25810152.jpg|45666200] and given up about 20 pages in, and I stifled the thought that maybe it's time to admit comics just aren't my thing and stop trying to read them in the hopes of finding those rare gems that are actually worth it.

But like I said, I stifled that thought, shoved Manhunter aside, and picked up this little guy. Which turned out to be a pretty good move on my part.

This book doesn't take itself very seriously, and that's great. I loved the lighthearted vibe they had going, and the art lent itself well to that lightheartedness. All the characters were great, and Groot was highlighted beautifully.

And though I said it doesn't take itself very seriously, there were some heavy-hitting scenes that'll give you an emotional punch to the gut :):):)

THE BACKSTORY THO OKAY

imeaj17's review

Super fun read!

trish204's review

D'aaawww!!!
Ever since I watched Guardians of the Galaxy I was in love with Rocket the gun-loving not-racoon and Groot, a tree-like life form. This collection of 6 issues is about Groot himself (although Rocket is there too).

All 6 issues are what a comic should be: fun, colourful, with great and adorable art, addressing important topics such as friendship and finding yourself.

So Groot persuades Rocket to go visit Earth for some mysterious reason.

En route there they encounter a few hopeless individuals,

shoot a lot of stuff, make friends, shoot some more, we get to know how Rocket and Groot met (a lot of shooting there too), they get separated, they find each other again, and in the end we find out why Groot wanted to go to Earth. And space sharks!

The sidekicks were of course not really important, which is just as well because I didn't know all of them - like, who the heck is Dawn?!

The focus was on Groot and why he is the way he is, why friends are so important to him. Plus we got to see three different stages of Groot - one being downright cute, one being adoribly funny and the last being awesomely kick-ass!
But Rocket got enough spotlight too. I have to admit I can't imagine one without the other (the time they were separated worked because we got both their POVs).

Rocket, I am sure now, is my soul mate. My spirit animal. He just wants to shoot stuff, he usually doesn't like other people because they are mean or stupid, but he can be quite nice too and when you're his friend, he'll do anything for you.

I really loved the art in this that was just the right mixture between funny and colourful, while never silly or sloppy and the story adds a lot of adorable, even deep moments to it. Perfect combination!

Thanks you, Paul, for making me read this!!!

rlaferney's review

what the Flark did I just read? I picked this up because Groot and Rocket are my favorite guardians and I heard it was a good "space western" comic but I did not expect to be moved by this charming epic bromance between Rocket and Groot but I was! This book is funny and genuinely moving; I had tears in my eyes at the end of the last issue. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who has ever read a comicbook. This is proof of what the medium is capable of. Also, I AM GROOT.

mc_easton's review

Hey, it’s light, it’s fun, and by the end, it’s surprisingly moving. Exactly what I wanted.

meg614's review

This was lovely.

noveladdiction's review

Groot is probably my favorite Guardian of the Galaxy. And it's only fair he gets his own graphic novel, since Rocket has several, and even Star-Lord has his own run.

And who knew a guy that only says "I am Groot" can tell such an awesome story? The last issue - ahhhh my heart!

marysgk's review

It was absolutely adorable. Getting to know more about Groot is really interesting. Also, have I already mentioned it was adorable?

princessnomi's review

I love Groot what more can I say

librarimans's review

I loved absolutely everything about this book. Groot goes on a galactic road trip to save Rocket from the vile clutches of a bounty hunter and makes all sorts of new friends along the way. Brian Kesinger's art was a perfect match for Jeff Loveness' endearing story.