La guerre de Catherine by Claire Fauvel, Julia Billet

pinkrain718's review against another edition

adventurous informative reflective fast-paced

carolineinthelibrary's review against another edition

Rachel (Catherine’s) story is so interesting, and more so when you know it’s based on a true story. I love WW2 books that tell a perspective you don’t often see and I think Catherine’s War is a great example of those books. The illustrations were fantastic and the story is a very compelling one.

hellocookie's review against another edition

Beautiful and heartbreaking. A WWII story like this with a protagonist who is all about a visual medium was begging to be adapted to a graphic novel and works brilliantly here. A really wonderful marriage of the story with the art.

I wish there was a little more about what happened to Catherine in the end but that’s just a personal preference and what was included was incredible.

sailorkchick's review against another edition

This novel shows a side of history that many people do not get to see because the main character can be considered "One of the Lucky Ones" as a Jewish girl in World War II in France.
The main character, Rachel, is forced to change her name, her identity, constantly move around to avoid capture, all the while not knowing what happened to her family or people she has met along the way.
She finds solace in photography and is even encouraged to document her journey.

This book deals with emotional trauma, World War II, the Holocaust & Hope.

lawbooks600's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced

Representation: Jewish characters
Score: Seven points out of ten.

What a surprise. I never heard of this author before but I saw her novel in the library. Unfortunately, I missed out on this one for the first time, but not the second. I thought Catherine's War would be a quick read, and I was right, but it defied my expectations. When I picked it up, read and finished Catherine's War, it was pleasantly enjoyable.

It starts with the first character I see, Rachel Cohen, living in a children's home outside Paris, where she has a hobby: photography. Despite the circumstances, the opening pages had nothing catastrophic happening. Everything looks hedonistic and perfect until Rachel alongside others had to escape to another place besides the children's home. All the antisemitism makes life harder for Rachel who found a school she could go to but here's the catch: Rachel must change her name to Catherine to avoid suspicion. The mood quickly changed from hopeful to sombre for the middle section of Catherine's War, but there's a positive note in the conclusion, which I liked. I thought Catherine's War would be a depressing read like another story I've read but shockingly, it isn't.

melaniegreenfield's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

mkellogg725's review against another edition

Great historical fiction read. I really liked how we got to see what life was like back then.

jwinchell's review against another edition

A compelling graphic telling of one Jewish girl’s survival of the German invasion of France during WWII. I think young people today need to understand that many Jewish children went into hiding and moved all over the country to escape capture by the Germans. This historical fiction, based on a true story, is as much about photography and art as it is about survival. Short and succinct, but interesting and readable.

aoosterwyk's review against another edition

Based on a true story, a young Jewish girl whose parents have been deported, is sent into hiding from the Nazis. She learns photography and documents her experience. She moves from place to place, making the best of a bad situation and helping others as she goes.

gwardyy's review against another edition

hopeful reflective sad fast-paced