Can You See Me?, by Libby Scott, Rebecca Westcott

hhhhhggguu's review against another edition

This autie reader could not cope with reading about an autie character being really autie. Far too uncomfortable for me, which is most likely extremely unfair to the book. You should read it anyway, it’s pretty decent apart from how I reacted to it.

oldandnewbooksmell's review against another edition

Can You See Me is a novel about Tally, a young girl with autism, and her struggles with starting sixth grade. Not only is she starting in a new building with new teachers, Tally now feels like she needs to act "normal" to fit in with her classmates - but what is "normal"? Told in both third person and prose via diary entries, this novel is a middle grade level read inspired by coauthor Libby Scott's own experiences with autism. It's an honest and moving story of friends, family, and finding one's place in the world.

I really, really liked this book, it's such a good representation of what it's like to be autistic, from the point of view of someone with autism. I've read a few books in the past from a point of view of a family member who had a sibling who was autistic, but this is the first novel I've read where it's the main character.

I adored Tally in this, the authors did an amazing job at writing to where I felt such a connection with her. I was able to understand when she was frustrated and upset and why she reacted the way that she did. I emphasized with her.

I also really enjoyed Tally's family. Her older sister, Nell, who is 14, gets frustrated with Tally, as any sister does honestly, but she's still protective of Tally, and even helps Tally, even if she does it in secret. Her parents are also pretty understanding, even if they slip up and forget certain things, they still really try. Tally's Mom especially, you can tell is always trying.

This book just came out when I read it, but it's going to be so important. So many kids are going to be seen and understood when they read this. Others are going to have new light shown on their understanding of autism. Please read this book!

bethshuff's review against another edition

Really eye - opening when it comes to the facts and reality of autism, but it was diluted by half-hearted narrative

bec_sherman's review against another edition

Thoroughly enjoyed Can You See Me? I read this with my 11 year old daughter who is also autistic. It was very eye-opening for me as her parent - as many times it felt like it was our life being described, and it was great to hear it from the point of view of the autistic child. My daughter can't articulate it as well, but many times in the book she made me stop reading as she wanted to discuss something that had been written.

leahmarv's review against another edition

This book hands-down might of been the most frustrating book I have ever read. I felt incredibly connected to Tally, even though I did not experience the same things as she did. This book make me cry so much. I didn’t even know why. It wasn’t sad. Like I said this book was frustrating, but not like it was hard to read. I was frustrated with the characters. I don’t know how to describe it. The authors did an amazing job on this. It felt so real. And it taught me a valuable lesson about autism and how to treat people. I’ve never been so moved by a book.

ciarab77's review

This book is perfect. I love how I can relate to Tally in so many ways. Firstly, being only a few years older than Tally, I understand the struggles of starting high school as it is something I have been through. I love all the notes on Autism, which I found perfect when my friends read it to understand me more. I also love how Libby Scott (a 12 year old girl with Autism) was one of the authors, making it real and even more relatable rather than someone not autistic writing it. I need the next book as soon as I possibly can get it!

jaz_reads's review against another edition

It was nice

ceceburrrr's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

nico_rondelli's review against another edition

challenging funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

flamingo_and_owl_books's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced