The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas

ehynds12's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

slyveimaeve's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

kaylaaromigg's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful fast-paced

barnesd's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

emptyharmony's review

3.5 ⭐️ This was a good read, I enjoyed it a lot. It was close to a four star, but it did not quite get there because some of the plot points got too bash me over the head with the message. But the main characters were great, I very much enjoyed Lina’s family too. I’ll happily read more from Elena Armas.

guribeee's review

You know i actually liked the book when it’s a slow burn i didn’t got tired of it.

gauriraut's review

This book had tropes that I genuinely enjoy. Enemies to lovers? Fake dating? Travelling with that same enemy/fake bf? I was practically bubbling with excitement when I read the premise. But instead of getting all that, I got this book.

* I have never hated a female lead as much as I have hated her (ok maybe Tris). This woman, Catalina or Lina, is annoying. Just plain annoying. It's like she did not mature past the age of 7. She thinks being stubborn is a personality trait. I almost DNF'd in the first 5 chapters. She has an intentional blindfold on her eyes and is on the path of self-sabotage. Even her best friend Rosie, who makes a cameo right at the start of the book, is tired of her shit.

* As for the ML. I am sick of all ML being big and large and stoic. UGH. This particular guy (whose name I can't remember) has been in love with Catalina for almost 2 years now, so it's most definitely NOT enemies-to-lovers. But because the FL is stupid and has a blindfold on, she cannot see that. He is also equally obnoxious.

* The entire book is just buried in the overthinking mess that is the FL's mind. She is also going round and round, around the same points. Hypothetical eg:
FL: Does he like me?
ML: I think you are the best thing in this world.
FL: Hmm, maybe he doesn't like me. I wish he liked me. He is so hot.

* In the beginning, I was okay with the ML, but then he went from 0 to 100 real quick. Once they both let loose a little and she starts developing feelings, he ceases to remain in character and very quickly morphs into an "alpha ML" sexual fantasy type. He's dominating, obsessive and controlling which all is easily written off as concern and love. His obsession with her well being is enough to drive a sane person up the wall and into a mental breakdown. He somehow always knows when she is hungry, thirsty, tired, wound up (and he forces her to relax. Like f off pal she doesn't want to relax. She wants to indulge in an overthinking cryfest).

* The plot moves (does it?) slowly and then fast all of a sudden. Nothing happens for most of the book. I read this book 2 days ago and can't remember what happened. That's how negligent the plot is. And the writing is jumpy and weird.

* I could tell that the author was passionate about the FL being Spanish because those are the parts that seem the most genuine in terms of writing. But halfway through it stopped feeling like a book with independent characters and started feeling more like a first POV fanfic.

* The subplot with her ex-bf (where he did not defend her when people started calling her names cause he was her Teacher) was supposed to be her scarring thing but it felt so unnecessarily drawn out combined with suspense. I hated how it was hinted at the start that something happened with him because of which she feels like she needs to fake date, but then it's not followed up till the end. Also when it was revealed what it was, it seemed so different from what it was going to be.

* I am over pages and chapter-long sexy time. Even then, I could've liked them if the ML wouldn't have been so weird about it.
Eg. 1. "How wet would I find you, baby?" This is when he'd pinned her to the wall and is kissing her for the first time. Like please hold up sir, this ain't a bullet train.

2. "Is this all for me?" I laughed so hard at this part. No American boy it's for me. Why you gotta ask and make it weird?

3. "You don't need this. It's me you need." With all due respect, she doesn't need you. She needs good old fashioned bonking considering her last relationship was 6 years ago.

Also, his dirty talk is cringe. They (him particularly) are obsessed with calling each other 'mine' and 'yours' and words like 'claim me'. It's not cute. It's creepy. He is also very demanding during sex, which I guess some people might find hot, but I thought it was a toned-down dom relationship tbh. And he calls her 'baby' so many times that word has lost its meaning.

* That thing with Gerald being the sexist guy we all face in office who is then just as quickly removed by the ML because he 'protects' her and 'takes care' of her (rolls eyes) was such a cop-out. A garnish of everyday sexism, because hey those book is modern and feminist.

* The whole in your face telling of how her family can see she's happy with the ML. Good god.

* In the end she stills enters a relationship where there is a power imbalance. I could never, but good for her, I guess.

Conclusion: Nope. Not for me.

book_struck's review against another edition

p2evavaras's review against another edition

main character was very flat and her character was highly unlikable, unsympathetic

annagrace_malone's review against another edition

lighthearted slow-paced