Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng

gottbergmn's review against another edition

Compelling, engaging. Could not put it down. Found the characters three dimensional and complex. I recommend it for an enjoyable read.

bookedshow's review against another edition

Frickin' Brilliant and so thrilling!
I have read two of Celeste's books and both of them were so on-the-edge-of-my-seat experiences, I relished the drama and love her plots. This book particularly relied on morally conflicting incidents and creates this dramatic build up. When all the anticipation rises up to the high roof, the events start to unravel and give you the peak or climax in the story that you wanted and it's so SATISFYING. Love it when it happens right. I thought I'll dislike it because I found the trailer of this show extra but I was happily proved wrong.

_shania's review against another edition

felt a bit too YA for me but overall was entertaining. 3.5 ⭐️

heathcliffdt's review against another edition

What a gripping read. But before to the book itself, I missed Ng’s introspective telescope into the characters’ souls as she did in her debut novel. Although of course, it still was present with how she wrote the characters in Little Fires Everywhere, I found myself craving for more. Just told myself that Ng perhaps compromised it for a more structured and tangible plot about family, intricacies of relationships therein, and the presence of a different race in a predominant American society.

The juxtaposition of the personalities of the free-spirited Mia Warren and the rigid mechanical Elena Richardson got their lives entangled when the former decides to rent Elena’s duplex. Both neither expected to be intricately so caught in each other’s lives until secrets unfold. The dichotomy however of the two characters are so apparent and obvious, and how their decisions affect other people.

I feel so bad for having this as my in-between read to dilute my reading of Tolstoy which is too dense and literally thick. Will always be at bay for Ng’s next books. 3.5 stars.

dnfnotdtf's review against another edition

Like a 3.72, this was messy in a good way, that's really all I have to sah about it. Now I'm gonna go watch the show ahaha

imcalledcasey's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

book_muse's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

katejbu's review against another edition

3.5*

bibliophile_pluviophile_rn's review against another edition

I really felt like I saw lexis growth in the story. I enjoyed her story most of all. The book overall was fantastic, I finished it in 24 hours and have no regrets! Mias backstory was super compelling, very well fleshed out. I can’t wait to watch the show now that I have finished the book! The only complaint I have is how no one acknowledges the attempted murder at the end of the book, including the would be victim!

bookiebook's review against another edition

challenging hopeful medium-paced