woahno's review

I'm using this entry for Alix E. Harrow’s “The Sycamore and the Sybil”.

I was unfamiliar, before reading this short story, of Daphne from Greek mythology. This story takes that tale as it's primary ingredient and throws in some "Little Red Riding Hood" with a bit of what I am starting to consider as Alix E. Harrow's signature twist: witches. Harrow also takes the opportunity to show off her prose here as well. While I enjoyed the narrative what really brought me in was the prose. It is what stands out the most in her works to me (so far at least). Her prose simply captivates me every time and I look forward to her upcoming releases.

kristamccracken's review

Favourites in this issue:
-The Sycamore and the Sybil by Alix E. Harrow.
-If You Want to Erase Us, You Must Be Thorough by L. Tu.

bailym's review

Placeholder for "The Sycamore and the Sybil," by Alix E. Harrow. 3 stars.

8bitlapras's review

Harvest by Rebecca Roanhorse: 3/5

Non-fiction
Toss a Coin to Your Bitcher by Suzanne Walker: 5/5
One Year Older by Michi Trota: 5/5
Monsters at the End of the Sewer: Buffy's Sixth Season Is Now by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam: 3/5
The Assassination of Professor X: The Destruction of Marvel's Most Famous Disabled Character by John Wiswell: 4/5

Poetry
As usual, I refuse to rate poetry, but I really enjoyed Other Worlds to Save by Beth Cato!

Average rating: 3.81/5, rounded up to a 4/5.

crunden's review

It’s like each woman doing what she can until one day, somehow, it is enough.

WELL, GOSH. I'm shook, to be quite honest. I have found a new author to adore. Alix E. Harrow's The Sycamore and the Sybil is utterly captivating. You can feel the sisterhood and solidarity running through every word and the prose is simply lush.

Totally, totally recommend.

foomple's review

The Sycamore and the Sybil by Alix Harrow and If You Want to Erase Us, You Must Be Thorough by L. Tu were outstanding. So You Want to be a Honeypot was just so-so for me.

samarkandar's review

A strong issue. If You Want to Erase Us, You Must Be Thorough by L. Tu was the standout for me.

musingswithmiranda's review

Alix E. Harrow’s “The Sycamore and the Sybil” is a wonderful short story that puts a fresh, new spin on the myth of Apollo and Daphne. In case you are unfamiliar with this, the main thing you need to know is that Daphne is turned into a tree to avoid Apollo and his advances. I recommend doing a quick internet search about it to read a summary.

Harrow uses this myth as inspiration for a tale about witches, freedom, and feminism. The story follows a woman who, after feeling as if she has no other option, chooses to turn into a sycamore tree to avoid a man. While this is rather lonely for her, she soon discovers freedom and power that allows her to help herself and other women.

I wanted to read this short story before jumping into the eARC of The Once and Future Witches that I received from NetGalley. While each are their own thing, the author did mention on Twitter that they are set in the same world. Without a doubt, I can say that I absolutely loved this story. Harrow is an amazing writer, and she does a great job at captivating readers. It is a very quick read but definitely worth your time. I highly recommend checking out not only this work but her novel The Ten Thousand Doors of January as well as her upcoming release The Once and Future Witches if you enjoy her writing.

*Content warning from the author: sexual coercion/assault and suicidal ideation.*