Her Body and Other Parties, by Carmen Maria Machado

savannahprice's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

nessia89's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

octospark's review against another edition

Refreshingly weird, wondrously-written, unexpected, gothic, funny, and mercifully female.....

sgp05's review against another edition

mysterious

I hated this book. Most of the time it made no sense. There were only two or three stories where I could somewhat understand what was going on. It’s supposed to be horror but it felt like nonsense masquerading as horror. I know some of it is supposed to be symbolic but I didn’t like this book enough to read into it. This book was WAY too sexually explicit for my tastes. Every single story had at least one scene like that. In some cases, it was completely unnecessary and made me completely uncomfortable. I did like some of the metaphors/similes though but it wasn’t enough to make me like this book.

Story 1 - The Husband Stitch: It was okay. At least I understood what was going on.

Story 2 - Inventory: I understand this one too, but the stories have been kind of basic so far. I don’t like ambiguous endings.

Story 3 - Mothers: Okay, you completely lost me. What the heck is going on. The author spent almost two pages writing about the contents of the MC’s stuff, and that was the only part of the story I could actually understand.

Story 4 - Especially Heinous: This one was also okay but I didn’t really get it at first. I was more interested in following Stabler’s POV than Benson’s since his was more interesting while hers got repetitive. Maybe ir would’ve made more sense if I actually watched Law & Order.
Spoiler I literally wouldn’t have guessed that Abler and Henson were their doppelgängers if it hadn’t said it explicitly. But sorry, Stabler, I’m a finish the book type of gal so I’m not just gonna stop reading. I’m glad he got out of that cursed city though. Also, I find it hilarious that Evan the intern was so annoying that he got kicked out of hell.

Story 5 - Real Women Have Bodies: I couldn’t understand why the mysterious occurrences of women fading were happening but also I didn’t feel like reading into it.

Story 6 - Eight Bites: I understood what was going on and the symbolism but it didn’t make it any more interesting.

Story 7 - The Resident: Literally what was the point of this story. This one has yet another ambiguous ending.

Story 8 - Difficult at Parties: Another story where I was like I don’t understand what the point of this story is and what message it’s trying to convey.

mariaesoares's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

sapphicshelves's review against another edition

I felt like I wasn't smart enough for this book.

ishouldreadthat's review

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

ercalas's review against another edition

Felt like I got some stories better than others. I particularly enjoyed 'the husband stitch' and 'real women have bodies' . 'Especially heinous' was also really intriguing. I was very confused with 'the resident'.

rhohneke's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

sofi1300's review against another edition

i loved loved loved revisiting this collection. carmen maria machado has me by the neck. i really wish i could say something smart but words and thoughts fail me to describe the visceral and physical reaction carmen maria machado’s writing produces in me. she’s just so so special.