Foxglove Summer, by Ben Aaronovitch

haleenah's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

teirhan's review against another edition

It's hard to review the fifth book in a series without spoiling anything, so I'm going to try to keep this one vague. I enjoyed this book quite a bit though I think that it was not quite as good as its prequel, Broken Homes. As always, this book was filled with the usual Rivers of London charm, combining pop culture, snappy dialogue, and insightful commentary from the book's narrator, Police Constable Peter Grant.

Grant is improving his skills as a wizard and still bringing 21st century ideas to an ancient art, combining them in ways which are enjoyable to read about. They also continue a major plot line from the last book, with the repercussions of the Faceless Man case that they've been chasing since the first book in the series. Now there's a deadline on that case, too, so even though it wasn't the focus of this book (which is more about fish-out-of-water tropes as Grant assists in a country investigation of the disappearance of two girls): I have a feeling it's going to swing back into focus in the next book.

My biggest complaint about this book is that yet again Peter Grant is unable to save himself. He seems to rely in every book on the cavalry showing up; and even though for once it's not Nightingale, I wish that for once Grant would find his own way out of trouble without the need for a deus ex machina to save him.

I've never been a big fan of the usual suspects in urban fantasy, but as with the other books in the series Foxglove Summer sure did the job for me. I can't wait for the next book and it seems that Aaronovitch is building towards a climax for the series now. Excited for the next one!

cecooper's review against another edition

This book didn't blow me away. I do enjoy this series, but I think that the increasing sex scenes are really poorly written and there is a particularly poor use of similies and metaphors in this book.

cassipaslick's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

kavarnistka's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

somecharm's review against another edition

Gah I hate cliffhanger type endings!

punsphinx's review against another edition

A fun romp, as always, with timely witticisms and an enjoyable cast of diverse characters.

rebekkahindbo's review against another edition

This started out kind of slow but still good. It's been a while since I read book 4, but Aaronovitch is good at giving the reader the information they need without listing what happened previously. During the second half it started picking up speed and became more action packed. Personally I liked both parts. I really liked the plot of this book, I felt like it was thought through and I was surprised more than once. It didn't become predictable at all!
I also really like the look into Peters personal life such as his interactions with Beverly, Dominic and Lesley.
Really looking forward too book 6!

steffi's review against another edition

Loved it! Although I do think the story ended rather abruptly, like there is a chapter or at least an epilogue missing in my copy.

txbookmama's review against another edition

I've become a big fan of this series. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment!