This Wicked Fate by Kalynn Bayron

charly_charlot's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

so_bleuwenn's review against another edition

adventurous emotional sad tense fast-paced

wicked_bibliophile's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

lildawnprince's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful fast-paced

racham1123's review

adventurous fast-paced

I like these better as audiobooks. I went back and reread my review from the first one and though I think I still would have had all the same problems it would have been a little easier to hear the book than read it myself.

This one picks up right where the first one ends. There is some review of the events that just happened so if it’s been a while in between books (like it was for me) you’re still covered.

I think this one was more fast paced and we connected dots and moved forward much more smoothly.

I liked the continued contribution of adding living gods back into the story. That was interesting. I even liked that Bri’s knowledge of the Gods was about equaled to what I know.  Disney and musicals, am I right? 😅 So, if you’re rusty dusty on your mythology this is a light and easy entrance to it.

What I didn’t like was how naive/unaware(?) Bri still was. I mean she makes several pop culture references which makes me believe she’s within the generation that would also know Harry Potter (glad those references weren’t there), and yet she doesn’t piece together one of the most crucial facts until the very end.  The pieces of heart are like horcruxes  inside Marie and Persephone so, of course, they will have to lose to gain. They had to literally cut themselves before Bri put it together. 🤦🏻‍♀️

She grew on me but I still didn’t love Bri. But it all makes for a quick and enjoyable listen. 🤷🏻‍♀️

delorean_1955's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense slow-paced

thecrowthatreads's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad

katieandkiri's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

This series was like a warm hug. Even if it had its sad or tense moments, I loved reading it and it still felt cozy.

thesimplereader's review against another edition

3.5 ⭐️ rounded down.

I enjoyed the adventure and treasure hunt of this book, but with not much happening in the first book, I felt like there were too many new characters thrown in and introduced with complicated back stories in a very short amount of time.

ebonyessencebookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny hopeful informative mysterious medium-paced

“We had this one precious life and what we did with it was entirely up to us. I wanted to use it to love and be loved in return.”

Marie was my favorite character. She was funny, slick at the mouth, took no prisoners and had a huge heart. I love her and Bri together. The cover art of them is BEAUTIFUL!

Love this sequel. The first one was a bit of a slow burn but now that things have come to life this book jumps in right where left off. All the characters in here i adore. Bringing their own flare and personality. The audio book is really good.

So dope to watch Bri grown as she learns more about her ability and the way to loves/cares for others is beautiful. Her moms are really the treat in her life. The way they have nurtured and loved on her is amazing. Allowing her to grow and not be scared of her. Matter of fact the whole family aspect of this book is great. Minus karter and his mean family.
-Alec, Marie and Nyx. (The moment between Alec and Marie put a smile on my face.)
-The Colchis family tree. (The auntie moment between Bri and Circe is heart warming.)

The mythological aspect and history lesson in this was wonderful. From gods, to sirens and a rare flower. What more can one ask for. Like if someone wanted to get into fantasy slowly this probably would be one of my suggestions.