a_b_lee33's review

For their latest anthology, DO NOT GO QUIETLY: AN ANTHOLOGY OF VICTORY IN DEFIANCE, Jason Sizeman and Lesly Conner have brought together a powerhouse group of diverse writers––several of whom have won Hugo, Nebula, Locus, World Fantasy, Prix Aurora, Mythopeoic, Andre Norton, and Shirley Jackson awards–¬–that offer a variety of perspectives on several of today’s hot-button topics (e.g. #MeToo, #BlackLivesMatter, immigration, etc.). These diverse voices are as refreshing as they are imaginative.

hopeevey's review

And e-ARC of this book was given to me by the publisher for review.

Like any anthology, I loved some stories more than others. In this case, even the stories that weren't favorites were thought-provoking and worth reading. The stories and poems are all on the same theme, without ever feeling repetitious.

coinmanatee's review

challenging dark hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

pers's review

A very good collection.

aimiller's review

I received a copy of this through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I'm grateful to the publisher for the opportunity to read it; I also backed the original anthology when it was a Kickstarter project.

This collection is solid, and the hope nuggets in each story and poem are really powerful. I will say I think a list of trigger warnings would have really aided this collection; the last two stories ("The Judith Plague" and especially "Kill the Darlings (Silicone Sister Remix)") are deeply powerful but definitely need to be approached with self-care in mind. (I've written about the inclusion of trigger warning indexes before, with [b:Resilience|36904454|Resilience|Amy Eleanor Heart|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1512467247s/36904454.jpg|59802919], which is an example of it being done really well!)

Overall, this is a great collection of stories and poems with hope in despairing times, and may be really useful to folks looking for that in our current weird dystopia.