Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovitch

tricky's review against another edition

This was a real surprise and I have had to really think about this review.
Peter Grant is a probationary Constable, he does not want to end up doing the most dead end job in the police force and that is just where his career is heading. Then things happen and Peter Grant realises that he has some special talents and is taken under the wing of Inspector Nightingale, a man with a silver cane and a very mysterious past.
The world that Aaronovitch has created is wonderful. He has taken the real London and given it a really delightful twist. The concept of the rivers is just brilliance and you are really pulled into this world. There are times when you feel that you are walking those same streets it is so vividly created.
There is great banter between the characters which does not come across as forced and again you feel like you are sitting on the lounge in the coach house, eating pizza, watching rugby when everything is going on.
The lead character Peter was okay, it was more the support characters that I was interested in, especially that of Lesley and Beverley, they had great stories.
Great deal to like about this book and if I come across the second I will read it.

sshabein's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense fast-paced

This definitely doesn't pass the Bechdel Test, but there are at least a handful of women who are smart and capable. And the story is interesting and quick-paced. CW for child death though.

if you're listening to the audiobook, dude is a loud breather and the editing does not mitigate it, but otherwise, it's narrated well.

pagesandpaws's review against another edition

The writer really captured the essence of London and its unique dynamic in this book. And the accuracy showed the great care and effort that had been put into it. The characters all felt so real and at times you forget you are reading a fantasy. I would say that Peters initial reaction to the supernatural world was quite unnatural in my opinion but I dont think it is a major issue.

introvertsbookshelf's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

lstrydom25's review

lighthearted slow-paced

Lots of tired tropes in this book - particularly around the women of colour. Really don’t know where the author found the audacity so although the story was interesting I hated it and will not continue with the series

rjmiranda's review against another edition

3,7⭐️

isasevon's review against another edition

3 star story, 4 star for the Plot Twist that I never seem to anticipate ahead of time

mothman6's review against another edition

So, I don’t know about you, but I love urban fantasy.

And apparently, I really like it when paired with murder. And this book has both, So thanks Aaronovitch.

Midnight Riot takes place in London, and one of my favorite things about this book is how it’s just as much of a character as Peter. The descriptions of streets, bars and people really gave me a sense of the city.

And it blended perfectly with the magic. I could totally see a city as old and rich with history as London having a magical perlée right underneath the surface. It was interesting and left me wanting more. I especially liked the influence of mythology.

I also loved the magic that Peter used. the magic was great. It was totally new and refreshing to read about. Part of me wanted a whole book just about magic and London.

Another thing I loved was the plot. One, I’m always a fan of murder and police work. But it was just so good. The concept and execution were perfect and wholly original. The twists were great and I loved the edition of the play in the book. It made it that much creepier.

I also really liked the police work in the both. It was super interesting to read about and it felt real, like I was actually getting a peek into a British policeman’s day.

AND THE CHARACTERS. They were so good. My favorites were Peter, Henry Pyke and Nightingale. Peter was amazing, funny, smart and I loved seeing the world through his eyes. His scientific approach to magic was super interesting and I just loved how his mind worked in general. He was a fully fleshed out character with mistakes and a past, which I loved. I like how his race played into his character, but didn’t overwhelm it and be the only interesting thing about him.

The only thing I didn’t like about Peter was his sexual immaturity. Seriously, he had the mind of a hormonal 13 year old boy. It was gross to read about and it got old really fast. I mean, come on! There’s magic everywhere can yOU STOP FOCUSING ON YOUR DICK FOR TWO MINUTES.

Henry Pyke was also great. I liked his motivations and how he felt innocent towards the end, even though he had done shady shit. And Nightingale was just awesome. I loved how deadpan he was and his character in general. He’s so freakin mysterious and I NEED ANSWERS.

It ticked me off however, that Peter wants to be a detective but doesn’t look into Nightingale. He’s a maybe immortal, ya might wanna check his birth certificate.

Overall, amazing book. I highly recommend to everyone, but especially people who like urban fantasy or murder mysteries. Honestly, the only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is Peter’s 13 year old mind. It was very annoying to read about and grossed me out. Other than that, great book.

4.5/5

earlgreybooks's review against another edition

Review coming soon.

kaitlanthrope's review against another edition

Like Hot Fuzz meets the Dresden Files. Made me lol, will return to the series.