The Sanctuary Sparrow, by Ellis Peters

myliterarylove's review against another edition

Best Cadfael mystery yet!
4 Stars

depizan's review against another edition

The cynical side of me might argue that the ending is a bit too good, but, as I noted on the first of this series I read, these books have a very optimistic view of humanity. And that's not a bad thing.

On reread: The ending, while still positive, seems much less “too good” to me on this pass. In fact, one could argue that it’s a very bittersweet ending, even for those whose fortunes have improved. There’s quite a lot that cannot be put right, and the central crimes are very much the result of things that could not be put right.

margardenlady's review against another edition

A very unsatisfying ending on this one... But a charming story as only Ellis Peters can tell. Oh the unfortunate outcomes when riches are prized above family. Lillewin stands accused of robbery and attempted murder and is given sanctuary at the Abbey, but Cadfael and Hugh find the truth in short order.

hopeevey's review against another edition

Ellis Peters again delivers a wonderful historical mystery.

Brother Caedfael often helps people in love. In this book, there are three couples, each couple very much in love, but in three very different ways. The action of the story comes about naturally from who each person is, and comes to light just as naturally.

Ms. Peters does seem prone to the trope of "the first suspect is never guilty", but I hadn't realized it until just now. She doesn't beat you over the head with it. Frankly, by about half way through this novel, I had at least three different theories about who did what and why, all of them supported by the facts revealed that far. And had I not been so very caught up in the excellent writing, and the wonderfully real characters, I could have figured it out - all the information was there. But I preferred to stay immersed in the time and place of the story, than take the time to work out the plot ahead of time.

ninotchka's review against another edition

Another fine addition to the series. For all the grimness of medieval life and the centrality of murderous rage - I found the book strangely uplifting.

kizzia's review

adventurous mysterious sad medium-paced

thatrabbitgirl's review

I have read Sanctuary Sparrow twice before. It is one of the few in the series where I remember "who done it." For that reason, I thought I would be bored by re-reading it again. But, that was not the case. I still enjoyed the story all over again, even though I knew how it ended.

harper's review

mysterious medium-paced

offmessage's review

There is something wonderfully soothing about these books. This, like the others, delivers. The characters don't move forward, the plot is clever but not wildly dissimilar to its predecessors; nothing challenging, but it's a pleasure to spend a few hours in this beautifully constructed world.

pers's review