On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King

randydias's review against another edition

Almost perfect. Worth reading at least once if you're interested in the art and craft of writing.

cmbeegirl's review

easily the greatest memoir I have ever read. easily.

if you appreciate stories and great storytellers, read this book. bonus points for you if you love King, because learning about his life and how he became the sensation he is today was a treasure.

this book should be required reading for all AP Lang and Dual Credit/Eng 101 students. why isn’t it? chop chop college board.

sarahschumacher's review

Part memoir, part writing advice, part storytelling about recovery from being hit by a van (!) A great read, and I loved how down to earth he is. I was pleasantly surprised by his view that stories sort of tell themselves - you’re discovering them as you go and sharing them with the world. Reminded me a little of the ideas in Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic. His writing advice was more general/applicable to fiction for obvious reasons. If you want specific pointers pick up the Elements of Style.

For the record, I’ve never read, nor do I intend to read any of his books. Not my thing. But the man is a household name for a reason and I enjoyed reading about how he got to where he is. It’s in the same vein as Scott Adam’s How to Fail book - an average guy who works really hard to get really awesome at what he does and finds success. If you hear enough stories like this you’ll begin to understand what is meant when people say “you make your own luck.”

ginnygriggs's review

Loved every minute of reading this.

ella_reads_books's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

mountainrunner's review

This is an excellent writer's inspiration and companion. King tells the story of his own career and offers a "writer's toolbox" for the would-be author. An engaging and insightful book.

teejayniu's review

Stephen King gives great insight on how to write stories while giving some great tidbits about his life and previous works. I enjoyed King's casual writing style in this short book. He makes me want to start writing.

katelynlee_'s review

I'm giving it three stars as of now because i'm very conflicted about this book.

The beginning I was fed up with and I hated it immensely.

The middle I got bored with quickly but some parts redeemed it.

The end, however, completely changed my outlook on the book and Stephen King. It really showed that he is in fact a human being and that he does have other feelings than just hatred directed at adverbs.

Though I had to read this for school, i'm glad i did. It taught me a lot about writing.

kirstreads's review

i loved this!! it has so much great advice that i’ll always remember when writing and the memoir at the beginning was just beautiful.

m_lane_reads's review

Loved reading about King's start in the biz and also his own thoughts on writing. A good memoir for anyone interested in writing, be it fiction or non-fiction, though he focuses on fiction as that is his craft. If you aren't into writing at all, then this would not be a good read. Some of his suggestions can seem a bit daunting if you truly are wanting to write a novel someday, but not be discouraged. He actually makes you feel like you can do it!