American Fairytale by Adriana Herrera

awishman's review against another edition

I liked the first book in this series, but these characters and couple just hit me in the feels. I loved their American Fairytale.

emcgillivray's review against another edition

The problem with a billionaire romance is that in today's culture, you have to set up the billionaire to be a great guy and the exception and fully invest in the fantasy element of it all. Because Tom was immediately set up as a great guy, his flaws increasingly came off as Camilo being too sensitive. Herrera's Dreamers series is set up to be very grounded in the world. Jude and Nesto's story felt like real people we know and would hang out with, so to introduce a billionaire while keeping it grounded felt off. By his nature, Camilo refused to indulge in the fantasy.

Additionally, the 3rd act breakup was around what Tom did for Camilo's mom. Did Tom overstep a boundary? Yes. But we saw Camilo do anything and everything for his mom, so it felt unnatural for him to say no. What if he said yes despite his ethical code and then faced how it might change his relationship with Tom power-wise and his own insecurities?

sarful's review against another edition

4.5 Camilo is a strong-willed, independent, stubborn, man who hustles his ass off to work for people that need help. He has a job he loves at social organization striving to make being on the margins livable. One night, with tickets to an expensive charity gala with his co-worker he meets Tom. A good time had by both, their chemistry is undeniable, but knowing Uber wealthy is not in his league, Camilo moves on. He may want a fairy-tale but he has zero want for a sugar daddy.

Cut to, Tom being the benefactor to the shelter renovation his organization just received. And now our two leads either pretend it was one night and carry on professionally. Or, realize it was more and figure out how to work with it.

I loved this relationship. Camilo never pretends with Tom and because of that Tom loves him. The fierce independence is what Tom loves and yet gets Tom in trouble. His money can’t save Camilo, Camilo never accepts that premise to point of pissing him off. And I love that Tom has his friends like Camilo does, to work things out. Their friends are awesome. Tom realizes his privilege despite that same entitlement pissing off our pig-headed billionaire. But, they work it out and it beautiful.

Such a wonderful book.

jenndmitis's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

Camilo and Tom’s love story was super cute, and had me actually expressing feelings.

becka6131's review against another edition

This one didn't really land with me. I felt like the pacing was off - everything was such smooth sailing with the relationship and nothing went wrong at all until way past the 50% mark so there was no tension, and I felt like when something did happen, a lot of the personality traits which caused the conflict were informed rather than demonstrated in the text. Tom's 'habit' of throwing money at problems didn't feel like much of a habit to me before then, and Milo saying that he always used to keep his opinions to himself in past relationships was unbelievable when his most defining character trait is how opinionated he is. While I liked Milo, tbh in general Tom fell a bit flat for me. Too perfect! Way too perfect and considerate to be a millionaire, and then when he DID screw up, I felt like both his way of fixing it and Milo's response to him fixing it was really weird.

Also, this isn't something that usually bothers me, but there were a LOT of punctuation errors in this book. Like, commas either all over the place or nowhere to be found. It got quite distracting.

I am absolutely frothing at the mouth over the next one though, with Patrice and Easton. Maybe this one just wasn't for me.

daniellesalwaysreading's review against another edition

Better than the first one because it didn't have the strange forcefulness of the friends trying to get the main characters to start dating when they say they don't want to. Good chemistry, good story, lots of steamy scenes.

goolsby's review against another edition

slow-paced

h_elen's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

merlesstorys's review against another edition

This was a very typical romance story, heavily inspired by Cinderella (as said in the plot description) and quite nice.
I also liked the way Latin culture was integrated.

hijinx_abound's review against another edition

I love this series so much.
Camillo is a strong confident man who has decided that love is probably not for him. He has fantastic friends who love and support him and he is a fierce social worker. He loves his mom but she has an issue with depression and it impacts his life.
At a fund raiser for his agency, he meets this really hot older man who totally flips his switch. But hooking up at this swanky event would not be his smartest move. Except his friend pushes him to go for it.
Tom is at a fund raiser, minding his millionaire business , when he sees this sexy af man at the bar. They flirt a bit and then they go to opposite tables for the evening. Then they run into one another again at the bar and it’s on.

I loved these two. This series is just so easy to walk into. I feel like I know these people. I could live in their world. It is just so good. There are issues that come up but they are dealt with in a realistic way. Camilla friends are fantastic. They support him but they are honest with him.
Tom has great support too. And his daughter is so adorable.
I cannot wait to read the next book.