Angela Davis: An Autobiography, by Angela Y. Davis

pear34's review against another edition

Angela Davis is a force to be reckoned with. So so so inspiring.

ronicantread's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

dominiquefragments's review

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Angela is brilliant, inspirational, a force, and an icon. Absolutely loved reading this and it's ignited a revolutionary spirit within me.

spicewitch's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

jstor's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective tense slow-paced

orlanerosette's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

lughchild's review against another edition

Y la lucha sigue...#blacklivesmatter ✊

notthatcosta's review against another edition

dark hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

In 2023 it's difficult to conceive a court case built around a non-celebrity that was able to cultivate an international solidarity movement, but this book does an excellent job of laying the groundwork to understand the context of where Angela Davis' activism fit within the crossover of the Cold War and the movement for Black liberation.

I also enjoyed the way in which Angela builds in her backstory, the origins of her activism and how travel and academia both sit so centrally in the forcing of her political identity.

All of this, plus the vivid descriptions of her experiences in the prison system AND the two forwards she added to the original book in both 1988 and 2011 make it feel both singular and relevant to this moment in time.

My one complaint would be the size of some of the sections in relation to others, and my own inability to register the many names she references throughout the book.

chervbim's review against another edition

The best thing I read all summer. You should read it too.

shardy1's review against another edition

Iconic Book. This was one of those books that regardless if you are in school or not you should definitely read!