Elysian Fields, by Suzanne Johnson

mercyblue's review

This book was amazing I can't wait to get my hands on the next one! The action was nonstop and super intense, not to mention DJ's relationship with Alex gets ratcheted up a notch (finally!). Rand get's inserted into DJ's life in an annoyingly permanent way, while Jake finally finds some peace in the form of Old Orleans. Everything about this novel I loved and I'm on pins and needles awaiting the next one to be released! Just come out already!!

evavroslin's review

The further into the narrative the reader gets, the more irresistible and unputdownable this book will be. Eventually things come to a head with the true master of puppets coming out, but he lackey strings are incredibly tangled, which will make the inevitable books that follow this series even more addictive than this one. Things end on a more positive note although, as mentioned, there’s definitely potential for more books in the series. If you haven’t picked up this series yet and you’re a big urban fantasy fan, or even if you don’t normally read fantasy but love a good yarn involving the Crescent City (New Orleans), you should most definitely pick up the books in the Sentinels of New Orleans series, and so far, each one is better than the one that preceded it. Suzanne Johnson has become one of my absolute favourite fantasy writers–this lady knows how to spin a good yarn!

Read my full review here

lynseyt's review

Find more reviews at The Demon Librarian.

Elysian Fields Forever

Book three in the Sentinels of New Orleans series is by far the most blood-soaked story thus far, so naturally it would be my favourite, right? Featuring an axe-wielding serial killer, no less. One whose crimes are getting disconcertingly closer to DJ's neck of the woods. Coincidence? Yeah, she wishes. And so once again our favourite female wizard is in the centre of a shitstorm of epic proportions, and if only that were the worst of her problems!

Oh, I loved this one. Here is a book that's not only a satisfying read in its own right, but also plants seed after seed of future intrigue as Johnson introduces her Long Game. And I have to say, judging by this book, I simply cannot wait to see where she's planning to take us next!

As well as dealing with the Axeman of New Orleans in his undead but frighteningly corporeal form, DJ has some very interesting personal issues to address in Elysian Fields. Some good, some not so good, and some that she's just been plain avoiding for far too long. There was also a lot more emphasis made here on the elves this time around. They've been somewhat in the background up until now, wanting little to do with the rest of supernatural kind, but when they step out of the shadows they sure do it in style! And with some humongous repercussions for DJ, I might add. Not happy with her bond with Charlie, the elven staff, they make their feelings known in true elven tradition: trickery, sneak tactics, and mind games.

Dealing with the elves proves a challenge for DJ. I've mentioned before that she's quite forthright - no wallflower is our Dru - but this poses a problem among the elves who, as a race with a very healthy superiority complex, see her as little more than a mongrel mutt. While not the most violent of the races as a general rule, that doesn't mean their methods of getting their way are a walk in the park. Mental torture being just as effective as the physical kind. Yes, our girl is put though the wringer in this one alright. She may never be quite the same again...

As well as all that, there's another gigantic development. I wish I could tell you what it was, seriously I do. It's a plot twist worthy of the only best UF writers. Not necessarily something you wanted to happen ( like, not at all), and yet you'll be d y i n g to see how it all pans out. You've been warned!

On a slightly more frivolous note, this pesky serial killer malarky doesn't stop DJ from finding time for some romance in Elysian Fields. Nuh, uh. And what a fine hunk of man she picks for her playmate! I bet you want to know who it is, don't you? Hee hee! I'm not telling, but I'm happy. Take from that what you will :)

To sum up, this was yet another great read in a series shaping up to be one of the high flyers of its genre. Absorbing from page one, I couldn't have asked for more.

5 Stars ★★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

You might also like to read my reviews for the first two books in the series below:

athomewithabook's review

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced
I was given a digital copy of this title for review. All opinions are my own.
Wow! DJ sure knows how to attract the craziest men. So much stuff happens in this third book. Things are getting political and I am honestly not sure how things are going to work out. But I am pretty sure that nothing good is going to come from this.  It seems that with each book DJ gains some knowledge or skill. But, she also loses something. Her ragtag group of friends are expanding and I’m growing more attached to them. Which means it’s going to be even more devastating if something happens to them. Most especially Jean Lafitte! This book has sealed the deal for me with the rest of the series. I have purchased physical copies to add to my collection and I am certain that I will return to this time and

spzawada's review

Loved this one. Best in the series.

gilwen's review against another edition

Quelques longueurs dans la première partie, mais la seconde moitié est hyper entraînante et rythmée, à tel point que je l'ai dévorée d'une traite. Entre un serial killer revenu d'entre les morts, l'apprentissage de ses dons elfiques, une épée de Damoclès sur sa tête et ses problèmes relationnels, Drusilla a ici fort à faire. Les bouleversements sont tant sur le plan professionnel que personnel et, grâce à cet éventail varié de situations, on découvre différents aspects de l'héroïne. L'univers est également approfondi avec de nouvelles créatures à l'honneur (coucou les elfes) et quelques escapades sur des territoires encore inconnus. Cela manque un peu de Jean Lafitte à mon goût, mais bon on ne peut pas tout avoir. Et pour une fois, Alex et Jake m'ont paru moins fade (j'ai en revanche toujours du mal avec Rand).

eloiseinparis's review

I don’t know how I missed out on this gem of a series, but I am so glad I found it. I started reading this book and about 10 pages in I wanted to go back and read the first two books. When I saw that the first book Royal Street was on sale for $2.99 that’s exactly what I did. Yes this is a stand alone novel, if you haven’t read anything else in the series you will be fine, but if you like this book go back and read the other two. I promise you won’t regret it. This series reminds me of the early Sookie Stackhouse mysteries, you know when they were still a fun fast read that didn’t leave you annoyed and frustrated.

This book picks up a few weeks after River Road left off. There is still a ton of tension with DJ and Alex, and at one point I almost had it, almost. The mystery of Quince is finally resolved. The Elder’s are annoying as ever, and Jean Lafitte continues to entertain. DJ is coming into her own, while she still has a long way to go it is nice to see her grow. The book leaves off with plenty of mystery yet to be solved, but there is no cliffhanger here. As a matter of fact a lot of the issues of the past book’s are resolved opening the door for entirely new drama and shenanigans.

bookertsfarm's review

I continue to enjoy this world Suzanne Johnson has created. Each book continues to fail to disappoint and I cannot wait to see what else is in store. I really have grown to despise Rand, but love the twist he has placed on D.J.'s life. I am also glad to see D.J. and Alex work out some of their issues and what can I say, my idea of a perfect mate is someone that can shift into a dog - I would have the best of both worlds.