peepmybookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark informative tense slow-paced

loolzerz's review against another edition

this is the type of book that makes you feel so uneducated but also like you’re learning so much at the same time. i also love books that keep me on edge the entire time and this book definitely does the job spectacularly.

oceanelle's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional informative mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Absolutely fucking brilliant.

funkeylock's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

morgannelefaye's review against another edition

challenging informative mysterious sad slow-paced

congressbaby143's review against another edition

This was a recommendation from my professor in a class I took last semester called“Decolonizing Philippine Literature”. It was so intimidating at first but I’m glad I picked it up. It felt good when they eventually quoted Fanon because I was holding my breath for it…. I only understood then that they were doing the quotations in some chronology. The message is quite clear, is it not? Violence is necessary in decolonization.

I also like how we were shown the different kinds of allies there are. That while decolonization is the goal, there is no singular way of processing it? I definitely appreciate that it talked about not having the perfect victim… that the colonized will not always act in the way we think victims should act… or react. By doing so, it exposes the very conditional nature of some supporters of decolonization. We see it now happening in the treatment of the Palestinians. When a journalist was expressing his frustrations and anger at how pointless it all is feeling while Israel continues their genocide day-by-day, many supporters suddenly showed aversion to him and his cause because he wasn’t playing the perfect victim. But resistance requires precisely this: righteous anger.

It’s a lot to process but I felt like it was good at portraying the colonial mindset in characters like Professor Lovell, Letty… the people at Oxford. How colonization is a blessing that took the colonized out of the dark ages. How language plays a role in it.

It’s brilliant because it was able to compile ideologies from necessary readings into something interesting and plot-driven… I gave it a five because for all of its breadth it didn’t give me the catharsis I was seeking at the very end…

As such, it echoed one of my key takeaways from my class and from this book… there are no utopias…. only the struggle.

unboundbibliophile's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

neele11thd's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad slow-paced

karabeara_21's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

paigegodvin's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious sad tense medium-paced