Nemesis Games, by James S.A. Corey

inhisbluegardens's review against another edition

At this point, I feel like nobody is going to believe me every time I say my most recent read of the Expanse is my favourite in the series but those guys just keep knocking it out of the park for me. Let me live, James SA Corey, let me live.

At book five in a series, you think you know the characters, right? Nope. There's enough tragic backstory to go around for all the Rocinante crew. In this instalment, our beloved Roci posse are strewn across space ( :( ) and dealing with the usual interplanetary shitstorm. We learn about each of their pasts, shedding light on their individual motivations and offering new perspectives which are so delicious to read. It'll break your heart so good.

Roci crew aside, a Belter fringe group has established themselves as a very real threat to the inner planets. They call themselves the Free Navy and they are here to fuck shit up.

All I can say in defence of this book is please read the Expanse, I need someone to scream with me.

robynldouglas's review against another edition

I really liked getting into the heads of the entire crew of the Rocinante. It was a good way to get around the fact that they were separated through most of the book and still retain the feel of the closeness of the crew in the previous books. Once again, people are up to nefarious things, there are mysteries galore, and I have no idea what the Ring is up to! Really looking forward to the next one.

loulah's review against another edition

haldoor's review against another edition

As a big fan of both The Expanse series of books and the TV show, all I can say is this 5th instalment does not disappoint.

The crew of the Rocinante are split up for the majority of the story this time, and we get their perspectives on the happenings from their different places in the solar system. It's the usual fast-paced action interspersed with personal events and thoughts that just make you like the main characters all the better as you get to know more about them.

Fred Johnson, Bobbie Draper and Chrisjen Avarasala are also still along for the ride, and there's a new player from Naomi's past that challenges how the future will go for all of them.

Had me hooked from the start, and didn't let go. Desperate now for Book 6.

jpv0's review against another edition

You can tell you’ve found a really interesting question when nobody wants you to answer it.

Unfortunately, while the first novels in the Expanse series asked a whole pile of interesting questions about the Protomolecule and the gate builders... both seem almost entirely absent in Nemesis Games.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fascinating bit of science fiction. Some absolutely events happen which really will change the fate of the human race. But it's just not what got me to read the series in the first place.

On top of that, there is the conflict between wanting to see the crew of the Rocinante fleshed out and learning more about them with the fact that they are best when they're all together. Near the beginning of the book, they all go their separate ways. While the individual stories are each a lot of fun, I miss the tight nit interactions between the crew of the first four books.

Like I said, it's not a bad book by any stretch. By itself, it would rate among my favorite science fiction stories. But as the fifth in a series... it could have been better.

Perhaps in the next one.

Things changed, and they didn’t change back. But sometimes they got better.

cvanooijen's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

franktt89's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious relaxing tense medium-paced

I enjoyed the adventures each of the crew members had. Thought I was going to be bored with Naomi's

kateofmind's review against another edition

Best one since the first one, possibly even better than that.

clairesy's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

Bobbie is back, baby! 💥👩🏽‍🚀

jewels_c_'s review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced