Reviews for Loveless, by Alice Oseman

lennie_reads's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

3.5/5 (Rounded up to 4)

'I had been so desperate for my idea of true love that I couldn’t even see it when it was right in front of my face.'

This book was very easy to read and the writing flowed very well.

This was my first experience reading a book where the main character is asexual / aromantic and I really enjoyed Georgia's journey of self discovery and acceptance, although Georgia herself could occasionally come across as whiny and selfish.

At its core, this book is a story about friendship and acceptance, and it's extremely cute and fluffy, which I love.

I absolutely adored Georgia's friends and I really liked the message that true love can be found in friendship and doesn't have to be in a romantic partner. I thought this was a very hopeful and positive message.

The book also shows the good and bad ways that people can react when someone comes out to them and tries to explain why certain comments are problematic.

I loved Sunhil's wisdom and his speech at the Pride Society event really stuck with me.

I know this book is about sexual discovery but I felt like it might have been trying to make Georgia as oblivious as possible so that readers who were potentially in the same situation wouldn't feel as bad for not knowing about the terms asexual / aromantic. That's not necessarily a bad thing but as an 18 year old in 2020, I felt that Georgia would have been more aware of the term asexual and as her best friend is a lesbian she would most likely be more aware of the different spectrums within the pride community. She also mentions reading fanfiction where some characters are asexual so it seemed a bit confusing that she didn't seem to be aware of it when Sunhil explained the term.

Again, I think it's trying to show you that certain actions can be problematic and things to try and avoid doing, and obviously it's a journey of self discovery but I really didn't appreciate how she treated Jason, he was a very sweet character and deserved better.
To its credit though, the book does explain in depth why what Georgia does is wrong and she does actually take that on board and learn from it which I found refreshing. Georgia was a bit of a contradiction because in some ways she seemed very wise and old before her time and in other ways she was so naive.

I definitely had to check myself a few times as I was projecting my desire for her to find a love interest in the first half of the book and that's not what this book is about.

Even though it was a bit convenient, I liked that her cousin had also gone through the same thing with her sexuality and that they could give each other advice on the subject and find an ally within the family.

There was also an excessive amount of clothing descriptions but I think that maybe comes from the author being an artist and also writing comics. And to be fair, it gave me very clear and vivid images of the characters and a bit more of an insight into their personalities.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. It was very sweet and funny and informative and I think the author has done a lot of research on the subject.

rob_bob's review

The utter amount of pure joy this book brought me is reason enough for it to get five stars. It’s just so good. I mean I knew it was gonna be good, it’s Alice Osemen. This book made me laugh out loud many times and it’s just so fucking good, have I mentioned that? This book is so good and fast, it’s a quick read and it feels like watching a tv show or something like that. Like I feel like you good read this in one sitting if you really tried, ahhh I just love this book so much. I loved all the characters and the little glimpses of their backstories made them feel extra real and lovable and they’re all just so good and deserve the world and yes their fictional but they’re great. It’s just a book about love and it’s so great and just so much joy was had by me when I read it and just oh my god I love it.

acupofmouie's review

fast-paced

evpie's review

emotional funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

zogazoid's review against another edition

I rarely write reviews because it’s not often books speak to me. Alice Oseman is a phenomenal author. Every book I’ve read of hers I’ve loved but Loveless is probably my favourite.

Every single character felt so real and vibrant I know they’re fictional characters but MAN they’re alive on the page. I hardly wanted to put the book down after reading it. I spammed my bf at midnight because I just had so many feelings about all of the characters.

I have never before seen aro-ace representation so front and centre, and it works so well. I love how Alice has written about and explored love and what it actually is and damn I’m just going to sit in my feelings from this book.

messistic_reader's review

I loved the overal plot and characters, but some things were a little predictable, though that didn't ruin plot. It was really nice to read a book about someone finding out his/her sexuality, instead of the typical YA straight romance story. And the friendships are described so well and realistic! I just loved it.

lostsock's review

Well I have to say that it was truly incredible to read about an asexual character - especially one who is just starting uni (as I will be next year, and attempted to do earlier this year) and learning more about themself.
Loved the friendships and the drama and the wholesome vibes, but honestly methinks I may not be the biggest contemporary fan anymore. I need my fantasy politics and magic systems haha.

cathan's review

lisamwin's review

hopeful informative lighthearted medium-paced

kavat's review

funny informative lighthearted reflective fast-paced