Reviews tagging Racism

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

eleanorcd's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

This is a great book for adults and teens alike that gives insight to Canada's dark and gruesome history in regards to the government's treatment of Indigenous peoples. The story is made accessible through a speculative-fiction lens taking place in the future where residential schools are brought back in a different way.

Spoiler Memorable quotes:

"Dreams get caught in the webs woven in your bones. That's where they live, in that marrow there." - The Fire (French)

"I was okay with my decision, but not okay with the consequences." - Haunted in the Bush (French)

"There were a few inches between them, but their breathing was matched, an even greater intimacy than touch." - The Four Winds (French, about Wab and Chi)

"I'll never forget the way that man looked when they tossed his grandson in the back of the van like a bag of rice. I watched his soul fold up on itself like a closing door." - Wab's Coming-To Story (Wab)

"'Come, daughter. Time to hear Story.'" - Wab's Coming-To Story (Miig)

"People died in the millions when that happened. The ones that were left had to migrate inward. It was like the second coming of the boats, so many suck people and not enough time to organize peacefully ... Those that were left worked longer, worked harder. And now the sun was gone for weeks at a time. The suburban structure of their lives had been upended. And so they got sicker, this time in the head. They stopped dreaming. And a man without dreams is just a meaty machine with a broken gauge." - Story Part 2 (Miig telling Story)

"'We go to the schools and they leach the dreams from where our ancestors hid them, in the honeycombs of slushy marrow buried in our bones. And us? Well, we join our ancestors, hoping we left enough dreams behind for the next generation to stumble across.'" - Story Part 2 (Miig telling Story)

"'If I had honestly known what was in store for us, I would have used it [the shotgun] top finish us both, right then and there.'" - Miigwan's Coming-To Story

"I fell asleep watching the rise and fall of Rose's breaths and tried to imagine us in another time, building instead of running."  - Finding Direction (French)

"'This is my family.' Miig held his hand out to us and we approached in a bundle. 'My boys Zeegwan, Tree, French, Slopper, and Chi. My daughters Wab, Rose, and RiRi. And Nokomis Minerva.'" - The Other Indians (Miig introducing the family before betrayal by the "other Indians")

"When the last body had fallen, we straightened ourselves out and re-shouldered our packs. We stopped at Minerva's bed, rolled up the bags, and folded her faded star blanket. Wab took that one. She unfolded it halfway to tuck RiRi's soft blankie inside and then folded it back over, her grief inside grief like the blankets themselves."- Rogarou Comes Hunting (French the morning after Minerva was taken by the Recruiters in the barn)

"'Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to live it.'" - Rogarou Comes Hunting (Chi-Boy)

"How could anything be as bad as it was when this moment existed in the span of eternity?" - On the Road  (French about Rose)

"We cried together like that, happy in a way that had no words, until he suddenly pulled back and scanned the group behind me. And I knew what he was looking for. I caught his gaze and shook my head slowly. Then we cried for a different reason." - Found (French is reunited with his dad, but without his brother Mitch)

"She sang. She sang with volume and pitch and a heartbreaking wail that echoed through ehr relatives' bones, rattling them in the ground under the school itself. Wave after wave, changing her heartbeat to drum, morphing her singular voice to many, pulling every dream from her own marrow and into her song. ANd there were words: words in the language that the conductor couldn't process, words the Cardinals couldn't bear, words the wires couldn't transfer." - The Miracle of Minerva

"'Kiiwen. Kiiwen, promise?' Minerva whispered, and Miig nodded. Miig took her other hand, and she began to sing, low, sweet words depleting breath that wasn't being replaced. I knew she was going. Miig picked up the verse and sang. It was a traveling song. We were frantic but silent. We needed her! We all needed her! She couldn't go. But she was singing her song. She'd already begun." - Lost and Found and Lost

"I't where I keep my geart. It's too dangerous to keep in my chest, what with the shape edges of bones so easily broken." - Kiiwen (Miig's pouch with what he thought was Isaac's vile)

"I rose from the table, adrenaline pinching my calves to action, stopping long enough to hug him. And he kissed me on the top of my head, just like he used to when I was little. And I felt safe. Safe enough to leave him." - Kiiwen (before French left)

"How could anyone be so lucky to have two fathers at this horrible time? Something had to give." - Locks Mean Nothing to Ghosts (French about Miig and his dad)

"I heard it in his voice as Miigwans began to weep. I watched in the steps that pulled Isaac, the man who dreamed in Cree, home to his love. The love who'd carried him against the rib and breath and hurt of his chest as ceremony in a glass vile. And I understood that as long as there were dreamers left, there will never be want for a dream. And I understood just what we would do for each other, just what we would do for the ebb and pull of the dream, the bigger dream that held us all.
Anything.
Everything." - Locks Mean Nothing to Ghosts

nat_montego's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful sad medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

It has a happy ending, that being said it is incredibly triggering for trauma, torture, sexual violence

bookdragon217's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

"Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to live it."

Cherie Dimaline does it again. The Marrow Thieves was a fantastic ride I did not want to end. Dimaline's writing is so captivating that you have no choice but to follow where she's taking you. Her imagery and prose are so vivid you are propelled into the action of the story. Dimaline is becoming one of my favorite authors and I will buy anything she writes going forward.

What I love the most about Dimaline's writing is her love of Indigenous people, the way she spreads the truth about their history and the moments of hope interspersed in between. This was a dystopian tale but she maintained the importance of community, traditions and found family. From the very beginning I was invested in their survival. The writing is so mesmerizing I was hanging on every word and detail. I really appreciated their growth and how they weren't all written as a monolith.

The dystopian tale was written as a reminder that the murder and commodification of Indigenous bodies is not new and continues to evolve into different things because of capitalism and settler colonialism. This story highlights the ways that Indigenous people continue to survive and pave a way into the future by holding on to their ancestral ways.

Main themes that resonated were:
💥 Indigenous genocide is not over
💥 Settler colonialism continues to displace Indigenous people from their land and deprive them of resources
💥 Erasure of Indigenous culture continues to be a violent process
💥 Community is the backbone of society
💥 Found family doesn't replace blood family but is still just as valuable
💥 Ancestral knowledge is priceless and offers survival tactics
💥 What is happening to Indigenous people today is dystopia
💥 Love can grow in the darkest of places
💥 To be an ally, you have to be willing  to die with those you are trying to save
The Marrow Thieves finished in a way that provided some relief but left a reminder that the journey was just beginning. For Indigenous people, the future is unknown but their will and ability to survive is unmatched. Grab yourself a copy of this one ASAP.

_savannahreads_'s review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

“Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to see it.”

“When we heal our land, we are healed also.”

“Do you think circumstances make people turn bad? Or that people make circumstances bad to begin with?”

What a journey. This book deserves all of the stars. The beginning was a bit slow but really picked up. At one point, I was listening during my commute and something tragic happened; I guarantee anyone who happened to look my way would have thought I had just gotten the worst news of my life. I definitey teared up. This book was a great allegory for settler colonialism and how Indigenous people of the Americas have been treated (and continue to be treated) by society and governments. I think this story is great for young adults or those getting into Indigenous fiction. The cultures of multiple Indigenous nations are represented and it really touches on the importance of being able to pass down traditional practices like language. I would note trigger warnings for rape, murder, racism and child death.

leio_vaasi_read's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

bibookworm's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad fast-paced

5/5 Stars. The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline is a haunting speculative fiction following a group of survivors in a post apocalyptic type setting. In this book The end of the world is brought on by plague and global warming, and Native Americans are hunted down for their ability to still dream. This book follows a group of native survivors and grabs readers attention from the very first page. This book needs to be required reading in schools. TW: racism, genocide, residential schools, death of parents, mentioned SA, forced cutting of hair, genocide

nstew16's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad medium-paced

caseythereader's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

1rae1's review

challenging emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced