Reviews tagging Sexism

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

bekah445's review

adventurous emotional reflective sad slow-paced

gabbygarcia's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

"He'd lost someone he built a life with right in the middle of that life. Suddenly, I realized that there was something worse than running, worse than even the schools. There was loss. I'd wait for him to tell me the rest in his own time, if that time ever came, I fell asleep watching the rise and fall of Rose's breaths and tried to imagine us in another time, building instead of running".

This beautiful book. Oh my. It will consume you entirely and you won't be able to put it down until you've finished it. This book is a gift everyone should read. It is devastating and yet so hopeful. The ending! The endingggg!!!

I would have loved more character development for the secondary characters, though I loved many of the main characters, who were written with such thoughtfulness and were given the space to be whole, imperfect people. Additionally, although I felt deeply entrenched in the world Dimaline created, I was a little disappointed that she did not explore and explain the loss-of-dreaming phenomenon and how the bone marrow stored dreams.

SpoilerI was so moved by the realization of the key: dreaming in their heritage language (though I also wish this had been explored further!!). The themes surrounding language loss and that deep, sorrowful need for language and homeland was so immediate and heartwrenching. Beautifully written and woven into the plot.

annalisaely's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed going along with the characters as they fought and ran and hid for their survival. The wold building was upsettingly believable. I really enjoyed the main character most of the time, except when he was a sexist possessive ass near the end and was then forgiven for it without actually apologizing. I liked several of the other characters a lot, especially Rose and Minerva. Though, it was really frustrating when the characters kept going to sleep without leaving someone up to watch, like happens in 3/4 of all fantasy novels where the characters are camping whilst hiding from baddies, and repeatedly kept waking up at gunpoint, and never learned maybe they shouldn't all sleep at the same time.
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was really excellent. The amount of description vs. action was very immersive. Expectedly, there is a lot of sadness in this story, which isn't my cup of tea, but I think it made a lot of sense and was handled well.