Reviews tagging Sexual violence

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

“Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to see it.”

“When we heal our land, we are healed also.”

“Do you think circumstances make people turn bad? Or that people make circumstances bad to begin with?”

What a journey. This book deserves all of the stars. The beginning was a bit slow but really picked up. At one point, I was listening during my commute and something tragic happened; I guarantee anyone who happened to look my way would have thought I had just gotten the worst news of my life. I definitey teared up. This book was a great allegory for settler colonialism and how Indigenous people of the Americas have been treated (and continue to be treated) by society and governments. I think this story is great for young adults or those getting into Indigenous fiction. The cultures of multiple Indigenous nations are represented and it really touches on the importance of being able to pass down traditional practices like language. I would note trigger warnings for rape, murder, racism and child death.

sleepyeggo's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

offbrandclubsoda's review

adventurous challenging emotional reflective sad fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book! It is beautifully written and kept me engaged the whole time. The world-building and story telling is excellent. Cannot recommend enough!

Spice level: 🌶.5/5

sonygaystation's review

challenging dark informative mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I really, really liked this. It takes a familiar genre of YA post-climate change dystopian fiction and makes it fresh and interesting with indigenous characters and a compelling narrator in Frenchie. One of the things I struggle with most with dystopian fiction is that it so often feels like the things that make a world dystopian are hinged on how white people (myself, of course, included in this grouping) view and interact with the world. Lots of the things white characters experience in dystopian novels are things BIPOC experience right here and right now. It feels kind of telling that so many of the 1- and 2-star reviews I see on this book are overwhelmingly from white people. I think every aspect of this book feels infused with Dimaline, her culture, and her identity. I see it reflected in the story-telling, the entire plot, and the relationships of the characters with each other. The dystopian aspect more a backdrop for the characters, this book is overwhelmingly about the things you do for the people you love, and how you continue to connect and build community with each other when the world tries its hardest to extinguish you. It's pretty brutal in parts and it doesn't shy away from the nuances of systemic mistreatment of First Nations, indigenous, and Native people at the hands of white oppressors, but it ends timely and hopeful and packs a pretty intense punch.

aloy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

lowkeymarie's review

dark emotional hopeful sad tense medium-paced

bekah445's review

adventurous emotional reflective sad slow-paced

slothbecca's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced