Reviews tagging Forced institutionalization

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

jourdanicus's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

I think this one will stick with me for a while. Such an incredible and valuable story.

_savannahreads_'s review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

“Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to see it.”

“When we heal our land, we are healed also.”

“Do you think circumstances make people turn bad? Or that people make circumstances bad to begin with?”

What a journey. This book deserves all of the stars. The beginning was a bit slow but really picked up. At one point, I was listening during my commute and something tragic happened; I guarantee anyone who happened to look my way would have thought I had just gotten the worst news of my life. I definitey teared up. This book was a great allegory for settler colonialism and how Indigenous people of the Americas have been treated (and continue to be treated) by society and governments. I think this story is great for young adults or those getting into Indigenous fiction. The cultures of multiple Indigenous nations are represented and it really touches on the importance of being able to pass down traditional practices like language. I would note trigger warnings for rape, murder, racism and child death.

ivana's review

adventurous challenging dark informative tense fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

livslittlelibraryy's review

challenging dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

so amazing, made me cry, loved every part of this book

lostcalypso's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

This book is written from the point of view of a teenage boy who has been on the run for much of his life. In other reviews, I saw annoyance with the wiring style and expression used by the author, but it felt appropriate to the narrator.

I hope you give this book a chance. It's meaningful and heart wrenching, but hopeful. When we heal our land, we'll heal our people.

ohhappilyeverafter's review

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

jennikreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense fast-paced

This is a brutal read. It highlights not only the horrified things that colonizers have done to indigenous people in the past, but the reality that it continues to happen now and into the future if we do nothing to fight it.

There is also a very strong found family aspect to this book that I loved. It was nuanced and showed how a group of people can learn to work together and depend on each other in dire circumstances, and in turn, how that can contribute to their fierce love for one another.

Overall this is an important and beautiful read.

lilcoppertop's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense fast-paced

sonygaystation's review

challenging dark informative mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I really, really liked this. It takes a familiar genre of YA post-climate change dystopian fiction and makes it fresh and interesting with indigenous characters and a compelling narrator in Frenchie. One of the things I struggle with most with dystopian fiction is that it so often feels like the things that make a world dystopian are hinged on how white people (myself, of course, included in this grouping) view and interact with the world. Lots of the things white characters experience in dystopian novels are things BIPOC experience right here and right now. It feels kind of telling that so many of the 1- and 2-star reviews I see on this book are overwhelmingly from white people. I think every aspect of this book feels infused with Dimaline, her culture, and her identity. I see it reflected in the story-telling, the entire plot, and the relationships of the characters with each other. The dystopian aspect more a backdrop for the characters, this book is overwhelmingly about the things you do for the people you love, and how you continue to connect and build community with each other when the world tries its hardest to extinguish you. It's pretty brutal in parts and it doesn't shy away from the nuances of systemic mistreatment of First Nations, indigenous, and Native people at the hands of white oppressors, but it ends timely and hopeful and packs a pretty intense punch.