Reviews tagging Police brutality

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

offbrandclubsoda's review

adventurous challenging emotional reflective sad fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book! It is beautifully written and kept me engaged the whole time. The world-building and story telling is excellent. Cannot recommend enough!

Spice level: 🌶.5/5

gdobson's review

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

annalisaely's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed going along with the characters as they fought and ran and hid for their survival. The wold building was upsettingly believable. I really enjoyed the main character most of the time, except when he was a sexist possessive ass near the end and was then forgiven for it without actually apologizing. I liked several of the other characters a lot, especially Rose and Minerva. Though, it was really frustrating when the characters kept going to sleep without leaving someone up to watch, like happens in 3/4 of all fantasy novels where the characters are camping whilst hiding from baddies, and repeatedly kept waking up at gunpoint, and never learned maybe they shouldn't all sleep at the same time.
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was really excellent. The amount of description vs. action was very immersive. Expectedly, there is a lot of sadness in this story, which isn't my cup of tea, but I think it made a lot of sense and was handled well.