Reviews tagging Colonisation

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

thazell's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

Once, the residential schools then now everyone wants them dead for their bone marrow which holds dreams. In a dreamless, dystopian society the recruiters will stop at nothing to hunt down the Indigenous people for their bone marrow. This book is a reference to the residential schools and the discrimination Indigenous people face in the modern-day through a fictional lens. It’s heart-wrenching. We follow Frenchie as he meets his new family and struggles to deal with grief while on a constant run for survival. They try to live, not just survive. The story has lots of the Indigenous teachings wrapped inside of it, like smudging, and even though they are being hunted for that very side of them, they continue to learn and practice it. They do not give up their Indigenous side no matter what. The characters are strong and find meaning within each other to continue to survive, to smile and laugh. I was in tears by the end of the book, it holds so much meaning and grief and love. Stories like this need to be told, let those who are suffering find strength in the fact that you are not alone; your stories are being told.

_savannahreads_'s review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

ruuththereader's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

“Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to see it.”

“When we heal our land, we are healed also.”

“Do you think circumstances make people turn bad? Or that people make circumstances bad to begin with?”

What a journey. This book deserves all of the stars. The beginning was a bit slow but really picked up. At one point, I was listening during my commute and something tragic happened; I guarantee anyone who happened to look my way would have thought I had just gotten the worst news of my life. I definitey teared up. This book was a great allegory for settler colonialism and how Indigenous people of the Americas have been treated (and continue to be treated) by society and governments. I think this story is great for young adults or those getting into Indigenous fiction. The cultures of multiple Indigenous nations are represented and it really touches on the importance of being able to pass down traditional practices like language. I would note trigger warnings for rape, murder, racism and child death.

nstew16's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad medium-paced

caseythereader's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

anaguana's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

stephanieridiculous's review against another edition

adventurous emotional sad tense fast-paced

offbrandclubsoda's review

adventurous challenging emotional reflective sad fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book! It is beautifully written and kept me engaged the whole time. The world-building and story telling is excellent. Cannot recommend enough!

Spice level: 🌶.5/5

lostcalypso's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

This book is written from the point of view of a teenage boy who has been on the run for much of his life. In other reviews, I saw annoyance with the wiring style and expression used by the author, but it felt appropriate to the narrator.

I hope you give this book a chance. It's meaningful and heart wrenching, but hopeful. When we heal our land, we'll heal our people.