Cleopatra and Frankenstein, by Coco Mellors

kris7's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

melkhanlon's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

kanikauh's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense fast-paced

literally maroon by taylor swift

ladylazzz's review

dark lighthearted sad medium-paced

caro_reads14's review

dark emotional medium-paced

madeline14's review against another edition

dark reflective sad tense slow-paced

sebay's review

"Sweetheart, love is humiliating. Hasn't anyone ever told you that?"
"Who would have told me that?"
"Do you know the word humiliate comes from the Latin root humus, which means 'earth'? That's how love is supposed to
feel."
"Like hummus?"
"Like earth. It grounds you. All this nonsense about love being a drug, making you feel high, that's not real. It should hold you like the earth."

its_carols's review

I loved this book so much more than I expected to and honestly want to reread it someday. On a list of books I would like to own (although I believe in paperback supremacy so I’ll have to wait for that). Booktok has done it again, this one slapped. Five stars.

abigailr07's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

bookswithchaipai's review

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

What first made me believe is a love story, gave way to a very deep tale which touched lightly on a lot of heavy subjects. First off, I was carried away by the title which was quite a mouthful. But what I was not ready to discover hiding under such a frivolous name, was something which would change my perspective on a lot of matters, the first of which is love. The book takes us through a repertoire of emotions, ranging from laughter, sadness, disgust, dread all the way to rapture.

Cleo, at the tender age of twenty four, bumps into Frank who is twenty years her senior and a whirlwind romance ensues. But then we are jolted out of our pleasant reverie with marital problems.

At first I thought it was only about Frank and Cleo, but then their bunch of crazy friends join the melee and we watch their lives intermingling, interweaving and then spontaneously combusting, as each of them are put in the spotlight to narrate their story.

Infidelity, fat-phobia, racism, depression, suicide, dementia, toxic relationship, addiction, alcoholism, Dysphoria are given a large stage to perform and showcase its abilities. The number of content warnings are shocking. Moreover, the drug-addled, quick New York life and the way it changes a person is examined.

The book is divided into chapters, months apart, with vignettes portraying the viewpoint of different people and their relationship with Frank and Cleo. I found the writing style akin to Sally Rooney, but where Rooney failed to grasp my attention, Mellors burrowed herself into my heart. Especially the Sugar Glider called Jesus!

I am so glad this book did not have the cliche happily-ever-after ending, making love and marriage triumph. It was all about the discovery of two souls letting them live the way they want and finding happiness in their individuality.