The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton

hyunniebunny's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

audreyglj's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

FLYING HOUSES FOR THE WIN!!

clumsyalchemist's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

akmclatchie's review against another edition

3.5! A fun whimsy chaotic cutie spicy moment. Vibe wise it’s kinda like Bridgerton on LSD. I actually had so much fun reading. A welcome escape from our current reality.

emiharpreads's review against another edition

Egads, this book was absurd. And I absolutely adored it.

It seriously had everything I could ever hope for: a strong FMC, hilarity, romance, sarcasm, tension, violence, thievery...and it was all packed in a well-thought out plot that was actually a fresh idea for once. Also, the cast of characters list and chapter titles were just *chefs kiss*.

The characters were delightful:
Cecilia - absolutely brilliant and I loved the way that her character stayed exactly the same, even as she began to have to fight against new feelings that she had only ever read about. She took no BS from anyone but did it in the most ladylike way I've ever seen.

Ned - the way he bent to Cecelia's every demand for decency was swoon-worthy. It took me a second to keep track of his many names and for a half a chapter, I thought they were all different people. He can help me steal a house any day.

Mrs. Darlington - had me simultaneously rolling my eyes and cackling every time she opened her mouth.

Pleasance - I can't lie, I am still not 100% sure what was going on with her and I am weirdly ok with that.

Morvath - was...something else.

Everyone else - matched the same level of absurdity as the main characters.

A quick note on the tension between Cecelia and Ned, from the moment they met:

That is all.

In general, the book was funny from beginning to end. I know that I disturbed a person or two in my house and/or out in the wild from laughing so hard. The little jabs at men had me giggling, especially the comment from the Queen about the reasons that led to her conclusion that men had no backbone. That tangent left me cackling tonight.

All in all, I don't understand why people hate this book so much. It isn't even my usual preferred genre but was, instead, a happy accident that happened at the library. I highly recommend this for anyone who needs something with a fantastic plot and cast of characters that also feels light enough to fall and truly escape into.

sophiegj's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted tense fast-paced

ebo's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

atsundarsingh's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

Absolutely adorable and darling. I found it charming and funny, and I really love the way the author managed to stay in tone even for the spicy scenes! Totally delightful.

takulsrud's review against another edition

I’m not sure what I just read.
This had a scatterbrained, self thought writing style. It was like being within the character’s head, which was hilarious at times, but confusing at others.
Fun little barbs against the patriarchy throughout. Loved those bits.
But the characters were outrageous; as they’d have to be to be a loving yet backstabbing society of Victorian era female pirates.
Not sure if I’ll read the next in series. Maybe if I need a whimsical escape later this year.

nicole_vt's review against another edition