Reviews for Get It Right, by Skye Kilaen

nonbinaries's review

"girlfriend. a word she’d need to get used to again. well worth it."

hella cute second chance romance story

nickoliver's review

funny fast-paced

juliabern's review

Perfect read for the new year, a sweet, soft second-chance love story with complex characters, moments where I got butterflies and some tougher societal conversations that make it all feel so real. (P.s. Vivi, I hope you enjoy finally finishing Avatar the Last Airbender!)

jerusha's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

nikkiswiftreads's review

emotional fast-paced

eliwray's review

Worth it for the profession of feelings scene all by itself. But it's also so tender and loving from beginning to end, with a fantastically drawn butch lesbian character and sexy sexy sex with one fat participant. I was rooting for them both, alone and together, by the end.

qace90's review

I received an early copy from the author. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts and opinions are my own.

This is such a cute, sweet contemporary f/f romance and I highly recommend picking it up when it comes out! Skye does a phenomenal job at sweet and romantic while also having enough tension to keep the story moving. I really enjoyed this and hope many more will as well!!

esotericelixir's review

Get It Right was a sweet f/f romance novella between a butch lesbian parole and a pretty, curvaceous nurse.

The author provides content warnings at the beginning of the book (which is greatly appreciated!), these include but aren't limited to): reflection on negative prison experiences including delay of medical care, housing insecurity and prospect of living with homophobic parents, unintended pregnancy (and surrounding discussions)

The amount of rep in this book was beautiful and it didn't feel forced one bit. At first I was a bit concerned over whether the relationship between two people who originally met while one was in prison and the other was their nurse would feel predatory however Kilaen managed to cover this off with enough time and awareness between the characters to make it work.

I really enjoyed the romance and thought the way the characters treated each other was very sweet. I'm definitely interested in reading further works from Kilean.

Thank you to the author for providing an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review.

joharis's review

Arc provided by the author in exchange of an honest review

This is a very cute and short contemporary story about a butch girl that just got out of prison and a nurse she had feelings for during her prison days. While the story had a lot of cute moments and did a great job with a fat character and talking in broad terms about the Inhumanitys committed in prison, I felt like the romance lacked chemistry between the characters. I know it's a short story but when they confessed their feelings for each other, it felt too soon for me.

It was a story that made me smile and would recommend if you want something short and sweet.

YouTube

Instagram

Twitter

wildergirlreads's review

This is a novella that tells the story of Finn, who has just been released from prison. She deals with chronic migraines and used to volunteer at the prison clinic which is how she met Vivi, a nurse who worked there. Finn had feelings for Vivi but it was the wrong place, wrong time and the power dynamics might have put her in a bad position; but she bumps into Vivi after she is out and sparks don’t exactly fly.

I liked the story but there were some inconsistency issues. It gave us too many details at certain points and not enough at others. The characters were well developed but since their attraction to each other was cemented off-page, I didn’t get the gratification I expected from this romance. I liked the fact that Vivi is fat, but at the same time it felt like Finn constantly talks about how beautiful and hot Vivi is because of that fatness that it almost seemed fetish-y to me. Although I am sure that was not the intent, it seemed similar to the rhetoric of “you can be beautiful in spite of your fatness” to me. But it was a cute little story nonetheless, it was very queer and heartwarming which definitely upped my enjoyment factor.

I was provided an e-ARC by the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

Find me elsewhere: Blog | BookTube | Instagram | Twitter | The Story Graph