Get It Right, by Skye Kilaen

prittypeaches's review

Love and acceptance after Prison

This was a heartwarming, life after prison story. Finn and Vivi were a forbidden love while Finn was in prison. After prison her luck turns around, she reconnects with Vivi by chance and their relationship blooms for real for the first time.

The relationship steps in book happen in an open conversation between Vivi and Finn. If open and honest communication is your thing, you'll really enjoy how these two characters get together.

Perhaps weirdly it isnt the first love by migraine story I've read. However, if you love a healing/caring scene this book has got you covered.

This book includes diverse characters, the leads are lesbian and pansexual and other characters include bisexual men and women, depictions of open relationships and interracial couples. If you enjoy reading a romance that normalises queer community, you'll also enjoy this story.

I struggle to give short/novella length books 5 stars. I loved the amount of character development that was fit into this story but I would have enjoyed seeing Finn and Vivi interact more with the world beyond together rather than seperately.

althea's review

4.5/5 Stars

As I’ve already mentioned, I already love Skye Kilaen’s writing, no matter the genre – I’ve equally loved her fantasy/sci-fi bodyguard/princess novella and her fluffy and funny contemporary prequel to this book, Knock Me Down, so of course I was highly anticipating her first contemporary sapphic romance, and I was not let down! This short but sweet novella follows Vivi, a fat, pansexual nurse, and Finn, a butch lesbian who is just out of prison and is trying her hardest to secure a job. The two quickly became close friends when Vivi was working in the prison Finn was being held in, but after she suddenly disappears from Finn’s life, Finn loses all hope of seeing her again. That is, until Finn, newly out on parole, is getting her migraine medication and unexpectedly bumps into Vivi at the clinic. But will sparks fly once again?

Skye Kilaen’s writing always feels like a warm hug from a friend. It feels safe and comfortable and I felt right at home as I dived into this story. Kilaen’s writing is very simple and straight to the point, which worked so well for the oftentimes difficult topics brought up in this book, such as abortion, the prison system and financial insecurity, but always has you rooting for the characters and really feeling for them through their bad times, as well as their good. This book was heartbreaking, funny and sometimes hit so close to home (hello endless job hunting!) yet never felt like the author was trying to go down too many alleys all at once.

Perhaps my favourite part of the book was the characters. Vivi is a fat, pansexual nurse, and is so, so fiercely proud of being all three of those things. As soon as I saw the cover for this book I squealed out loud, as, sadly, it’s not often you get to see fat women on the covers of sapphic romance novels, and I think Skye managed to capture her so brilliantly and so sensitively throughout. Without spoiling anything, Vivi is going through a rather tough time in her life, with some big decisions needing to be made, and she’s always thinking of others opinions and thoughts throughout. She’s a big softie but will also never hesitate to immediately shut down your bigoted and outdated ideas. Throughout the novella, Finn is trying her best to gain some financial stability and freedom after her stint in prison for stealing. Finn is your classic, oblivious lesbian that I’m sure so many of us can relate to (including myself – I didn’t think my girlfriend liked me even when she explicitly asked me out on a date!), and I loved the butch rep! She’s trying her hardest throughout the book to not have to rely on people anymore and I really saw myself in her. The side characters were also great! Of course I was soo happy to see Nora and Will again (you can meet them in Knock Me Down which is out Nov. 1!) and throughout the book I had my fingers crossed that the next book would be following Vivi’s other sister, Allie, and I’m so happy to see that it will be! I also hope we get to see more of Oliver (poor pining baby!) and Dr Choi too!

As I mentioned, the book does deal with some difficult topics, like abortion, the prison system and financial instability, and it did so very respectfully and sensitively. Despite that, I think the one tiny flaw I could find in this novella is that I would’ve liked a tad more plot. We follow Finn trying to find a job again after prison and Vivi and her storyline (I’m trying to not give any spoilers!) and about the two of them coming back together again, but I wanted a little more (although I do love to see a guaranteed HEA).

Overall, I really loved this latest novella from Skye Kilaen and I’m so excited for the sequel and her future works (did someone say a bisexual romance?)! I highly, highly recommend you pick this one up when it’s released on December 1!

Thanks to the author for providing me with an eARC in return for an honest review!

araleith's review

I loved this book. I loved how Skye wrote about migraines, I loved all the emotions and soft caring between Finn and Vivi, all of it. Highly recommended.

kmanos's review

emotional funny fast-paced

dhwani's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

soubhi's review

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

A fun, sweet, gentle f/f romance. I chose this for a bookclub, and I can’t wait to see what the other members think of it. I enjoyed it and would read more by the author.

endemictoearth's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Finn and Vivi met in prison, where Finn was serving time and Vivi was a nurse in the infirmary. They meet again when Finn is out and looking for help with her migraines at a clinic. There are a lot of extenuating circumstances that surround these two, but I really loved seeing someone getting back on their feet after prison, fully aware of why it wasn’t as hard for her as a lot of people. It’s a well-balanced, socially-aware romance, something we need more of!

nonbinaries's review

"girlfriend. a word she’d need to get used to again. well worth it."

hella cute second chance romance story

nickoliver's review

funny fast-paced

julesby's review

Perfect read for the new year, a sweet, soft second-chance love story with complex characters, moments where I got butterflies and some tougher societal conversations that make it all feel so real. (P.s. Vivi, I hope you enjoy finally finishing Avatar the Last Airbender!)